Test speakers? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd March 2004, 05:47 PM   #1
Ryssen is online now Ryssen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default Test speakers?

I have a
Revolution 7.1 soundcard,but maybe the mic input of this card isnīt good enough to messaure with?And I have 3 different microphones Shure 588SA,Wellin DMW 908 And Primo C-2,they are for Singing and for instruments,how do I know if they are liniear to messaure with,can I check them somehow?Or could any one recomend any other mic for this not to expensive.As I have never done this before I would be glad if someone could explain this to me,maybe a schema for a good mic preamp,to use with the line input of my soundcard.
Old 2nd March 2004, 10:10 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

OK I would recommend you do a search bah hell ill do it for u and post the link, oh what do you know its in my favs!

http://www.gti.net/wallin/audio/jig2/jig2.html

this should tell you all you need to know about how to make measurements of loudspeakers.

As long as you can find out the frequency response of the mics you have there wont be any problems in using them, unless they need a phantom power supply in which case this complicates matters a bit. But you will still need a mic preamp, the site above has a preamp around in it. Just have a read thru and im sure that will help.

Matt
Old 2nd March 2004, 10:17 PM   #3
Svante is offline Svante  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 5th element

As long as you can find out the frequency response of the mics you have there wont be any problems in using them, unless they need a phantom power supply in which case this complicates matters a bit. But you will still need a mic preamp, the site above has a preamp around in it. Just have a read thru and im sure that will help.

Matt
Oh, yes, there might still be problems. I don't know the mics, but if they are not omnis, they will suffer from the proximity effect. This means that they will not have one response, but one for each distance... !

If they are omnis, you are right though.
Old 2nd March 2004, 10:54 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Crumbs I forgot about that one, ye better watch out, the proximity affect is hard to reverse as its not constant, as Svante says the response varies with the distance it is from the source.

Hide this!Advertise here!