Diy speakers based on Tangent TM 1 or TM 3 or similar ,info and schematics needed!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone!
Financial crisis in Greece leaves no option to a poor music lover than DIY.So I
have two spare KEF B200's SP 1014 and T27's and I intend to give life to a Tangent TM 1 or TM 3 clone.If anyone can contribute with any information or schematics regarding these speakers would be most welcome.(cabinet internal and external dimensions,baffle dimensions and cutouts,bracing,type of wood,battens,deadening resonances,stuffing,crossovers,suitable type of inductors,etc)
I decided to build these speakers after visiting Tangent Speakers TM-1 ,Tangent Speakers TM-3
and reading a review on the french HI FI STEREO July 1979 magazine at
Forum Cabasse, HIFI vintage et Home Cinéma. :: TANGENT Enceinte TM1 .Any Tangent owners here please help!Any ideas for cabinets suitable for B200 and T27 other than Tangents are also most welcome!
Thank you,
Vaggelis

Reactions: 1 user
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Sreten has a point. I know the local hifi emporium often break up TM1/TM3 because they can get more for the tweeters when repairing a set of Linns than they can get for the whole Tangent box -- even thou the Tangents are probably better than the Linns.

If you go ahead you want to nuke the KEF XO, it is not near as good as the Tangent. I don't have the box specifics, but i'd start over anyway, the boxes were too small (based on sims). The TM3 was sealed, the TM1 vented. Put them in 60-120 litre sealed boxes.

XOver scema attached.

dave

Attachments

• Tangent-TM1-3-xover-map.gif
    Tangent-TM1-3-xover-map.gif
    16.6 KB · Views: 255
Thank you for your replies all you dear friends.
Dear Sreten ,since I already own the drivers for some years,sitting there dusty in a shelf,I would like to diy something ala the BBC way :thin wall cabinet,bitumen damping,removable front and back etc in order to compliment these old but well-made KEF drivers.
Dear Zuhl,I took a look at the One BC, homage to a classic vintage design thread you suggested,but the constructor abandoned the project finally due to crossover issues I think.The thread does not give any information on the baffle and drivers' placement pecifications,which is something necessary for my project
DearPlanet10,I totally agree with you that the Tangent xover is far superior to the KEF one.Kef suggested a closed cabinet of 20-30lt for B200 SP 1014.The KEF Chorale implementation has 20,4lt.
Dear Crashtest ,thank you for your interest.I would be most obliged for some inernal-external cabinet measurements and or baffle drivers placement scetches,or any other information or ideas!

I am interested in a pair of Tangent TM1s as alternative to listen to during lockdown.
I’ve lived with Spendor BC1s for decades and love them, but I’m interested to hear
another pair of 2 cubic foot boxes.
Has anyone here had experience of the Tangents ?
I seem to recall they were favourably compared with BBC designs such as Rogers and Spendor.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I think we were probably one of the largest Tangent dealers in North America.

The TM1 was the big brother of the TM3 which represented the bottom of the line. They were good. Don’t know if they did as well as BC1 (we only ever had a pair of those thru, a buddy still has them).

I have 16 KEF B200 (the bass used in the TM1) and i am trying to digure out how they made the B200 work in such small boxes.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.