Waxed copper foil coils?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyome,

My favorite coil maker, Jantzen, just started selling waxed foil coils on Parts Express. Im wondering if anyone has any opinion about them and how they compare to regular air core and unwaxed foil coils.

Thanks,

Erik

, so you want the skinny on the wax?
I know bees wax buzzes when stressed:D

foil coils aren't new (numerous threads) IMO they look pimpin'

, so you want the skinny on the wax?
I know bees wax buzzes when stressed:D

foil coils aren't new (numerous threads) IMO they look pimpin'

Oh, I know foil coils are old tech. :) I have several of them, in speakers and drawers! :D :D :D

I just wondered about the Jantzen wax paper coils. I think Parts Express is discontinuing the un-waxed Jantzen foil coils. I got several of those on discounts! :) But now if I want foil coils I have to pay full price for Mundorf or Goetz. :-(

PE has been selling those for over a year now, maybe two. I've tried both, and hear no difference.

PE discontinued the 12AWG and some of the larger value foils, as they don't move from inventory very fast, but so far both have some that don't list as either clearance or discontinued.

Don't forget the FoilQ coils from ERSE.

FWIW in a recent listening test, the preferred coils were I-core on the woofer and Litz on the tweeter.

Nobody liked the foil results, and they preferred the Litz/air types on the tweeter. The I-Core boosted the bass a smidge and gave it more slam. The Litz actually induced (for some strange and unknown reason) a bit of BBC dip in the test.
(Before you ask, the coils were matched in mH, and almost matched in DCR [on tweeter] with resistors to compensate [no resistors on the woofer, but DCR was closer], and there was no coil interaction between another and the Litz in the circuit. I really truly have no proof as to why, nor any valid info to what could be the cause.)

Later,
Wolf

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.