Done with rough construction of TNT Flexy rack

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Have my flexy rack done to rough stage. A few changes I did were to use 1" MDF for the shelves and I am going to sleeve my all-thread with 1 3/8" ID stainless steel pipe.

Already have the SS pipe that I bought for 3 dollars a pound at a Seattle salvage yard and polished it up. I do need to get somone with a miter band saw to cut the pieces up tomorrow and install them after I paint the shelves. I will also make some 2" cherry discs for the feet and to cap the top.

I would like to cherry veneer the shelves but I quarter inch radiused the edges and do not think I can get the veneer to wrap around them well, so I will need to do some more research in order to try to get a paint to look good next to the cherry veneer I am putting on my ML Fe167's.

Anyway - here's a pic.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

If you are talking about putting a 3/4 inch embedded hard wood stripe into the edge of a 1" MDF shelf then the easiest way would to use a 3/4" cutting edge rabbiting bit on a router and select depth with bearing width. If you want it smaller or different size then you available rabbiting bits (bigger than rabbiting bit np, smaller is), then using a slot cutting bit on your router is easiest to make the slot with - just make multiple passes till the desired height of slot is made.

The best thing about using a bit that is smaller than the desired slot size is that you can easily center the slot on the edge perfectly. Make your first pass at the probable upper edge then flip the sheet without adjusting the router depth and make your second pass. The two stripes will be perfectly centered on the edge. If there is any material left over (if making a large slot with a slot cutter) then adjust router depth and nibble it out.

FYI - a slot cutter bit is used for making spline grooves to join to pieces together. Think of a making a any-length biscuit joint.

I think I will have to skip on the sand filled base :). The unit weighs 40 plus pounds already and with the .065 wall SS pipe it will weigh up to 75 lbs. Plenty heavy for my listening ability and cleaning habits.

I think I am going to have the shelves painted to give the room some color - maybe a deep blue or dark green to match the rug.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.