Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Small Syns
Small Syns
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th August 2017, 06:31 AM   #351
fluid is online now fluid  Australia
diyAudio Member

The tractrix profile beams much more than the SEOS does. You will be trading constant directivity through most of the range by using a tractrix. If you are happy with the narrow HF directivity then give it try.

There has to be a compromise somewhere pick whichever one you prefer
Old 25th August 2017, 05:54 PM   #352
bwaslo is offline bwaslo  United States
diyAudio Member

The Small Syns design is targeted at directivity, loading wasn't much of a concern at all. The efficiency is high enough, SPL capability is more than needed and power is cheap these days anyway. A Synergy horn will load better at low frequencies when driven further up from the throat where the expansion rate is good for lower frequencies (that was one of the main original aims of Danley's Unity design, for high SPL PA use).

Tractrix would work in the same structure, and as you say, the flat sides would make it easier to mount your midranges. But if you're wanting to make your own horn, you can make a conical waveguide even easier than a tractrix, and all walls are flat -- see the SynergyCalc spreadsheet, you can calculate any rectangular flat sided conical waveguide you want.
Old 7th September 2017, 10:35 AM   #353
Brett is offline Brett
diyAudio Member

Hi Bill,

I don't think I'd seen this thread before yesterday, but have read it all now and think I'll build a pair for the bedroom next year. I have a couple of other builds to complete first though.

They'll be active using JRiver on my bedroom PC to do the xovers. The one mod, apart from enclosure shape*, will be to add a LAB12 below the sealed Small Syns to do from 80Hz down to 30Hz or so. Each flare will have 2 mids.

Thanks, you've saved me doing my own design. I love the concept as I have Unitys in the lounge/theatre. If I really like them, I'll build 4 more to replace the surrounds.

* Triangular xsection with a chamfered baffle to fit onto the corners.

Last edited by Brett; 7th September 2017 at 10:38 AM.

Small SynsHide this!Advertise here!