Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Small Syns
Small Syns
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th September 2016, 04:55 PM   #151
bwaslo is offline bwaslo  United States
Old guy with soldering iron
diyAudio Member

Small Syns
Quote:
Originally Posted by picowallspeaker View Post
Put inside the equation also:

The rigidity of the enclosure and its"soundproofness".
The cone itself that is just a subtle membrane...
Both of which are also factors with a sealed speaker as well. The "soundproofness" of the box has an advantage with sealed, though, since higher frequencies in the backwave can come out of a port (a good reason for steeper crossovers with ported speakers). And you can't stuff a ported box with absorbent nearly as much as with a sealed box, at least not without killing the resonance you are trying to use with the ported box.
Old 22nd September 2016, 07:43 PM   #152
diyAudio Member

Small Syns
Default Not quite so Small Syns

Ported vs Sealed, visual effect in room -
Attached Images
File Type: png SPSS in LR.png (290.2 KB, 600 views)
File Type: png SSS in room.png (310.2 KB, 595 views)
Old 22nd September 2016, 08:26 PM   #153
Eldam is offline Eldam  France
Banned

Oh Man !

I like it a lot ! Both the phrase and the photograph ! And I like the photograph a lot more ..... or maybe equaly! I can't decide !

Tripod>quadripod "piedstal" is not so pretty but cabinets are .... just simply elegant !.... defintly no "fractal"... so : so human !
Old 22nd September 2016, 08:33 PM   #154
diyAudio Member

Small Syns
Thanks, Eldam! I'm pretty sure the wife likes the smaller ones better (big surprise, right?). But that's ok, the not-as-small ones sound better in my downstairs listening area, there's a room peak upstairs that I could EQ out, but haven't got that far yet.

Don't like the stands? (They're IKEA plant stands...). My wife picked them out, so I'll go with what she wants. I wanted to make some natural oak stands to match the cabinets, but will probably only do that for the downstairs system.

(Yes, I'm planning to try to sell the older big CoSynes horn speakers. I think the Small Syns sound better and fit better as well. Of course, that will only happen if anyone near enough to be able to transport them home wants them!).
Old 22nd September 2016, 08:36 PM   #155
Banned

WIfe just loved the one on the photograph without knowing the size *

* : you know since the Focal Grand Utopia, she are not more "surprised" (focused) on the size... but the legs are still important !

Last edited by Eldam; 22nd September 2016 at 08:40 PM.
Old 22nd September 2016, 09:04 PM   #156
Banned

.... And she, I, We, ... defintly believe this minimalist shape is elegant and can be embeded in a western european living room.
Old 23rd September 2016, 01:34 AM   #157
sphykik is offline sphykik  United States
diyAudio Member

Great pics Bill!

The compression drivers and Celestions came in today. I was able to source some high grade plywood as well - should have that next week (waiting on a friend with a truck). Looking forward to starting the build!

I gather you haven't been able to measure the ported box yet. Do you feel the porting and volume increase has affected midrange performance? The sealed boxes sure would fit better in my current living room, so I'm almost leaning that way... decisions decisions

-Damian
Old 23rd September 2016, 03:39 AM   #158
diyAudio Member

Small Syns
Hi Damian,

I did a measurement (about 3ft from the baffle) today so I could work up an FIR phase eq for it. Here is the response, with (red) and without (black, no EQ) some mild PEQ I added for in-room bumps. Sorry, I only saved 1/6th octave curves, since that is what I was adjusting the FIR EQ with. The bump near 100Hz is from the speaker itself (interaction between crossover and the driver impedance), the dip is floor bounce.

I'm very happy with the sound, though it makes me even more bummed about the tweeter being discontinued. I haven't gone outside to do polar measurements, but the on-axis is very close to the same as the sealed version, as is the sound (except for more powerful sounding bass). I did tweak the crossover a little (the same should probably be done on the sealed version). C3 and R1 change a little. Not sure if it can be heard, but the midrange gets a little flatter, at least with the particular instances of drivers I used.
Attached Images
File Type: png In LR response.png (9.4 KB, 544 views)
File Type: png Xover used iin SP versions.png (50.9 KB, 555 views)
Old 23rd September 2016, 03:50 AM   #159
diyAudio Member

Small Syns
If you're going to use a DSP EQ (so you can apply a Linkwitz Transform), then I'd just go ahead with the sealed version -- I can give you a configuration file for the MiniDSP 2x4HD (including FIR EQ for linear phase on either the sealed or the shelf ported).

If you will use them with subs, then certainly go with the sealed, easier to build too. Though you'll have to do the arithmetic to determine the board cuts on that one for now.
Old 23rd September 2016, 11:53 PM   #160
mrk7 is offline mrk7  Australia
diyAudio Member

Looking good bwaslo! Looks wise I particularly like the proportions of the sealed box (looks golden ratio).

Any chance you can provide CSD plots of the compression driver and phase and group delay plots of the completed speaker before and after implementing the FIR filter?

Small SynsHide this!Advertise here!