Shipwrecked? Which speaker brand?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
SB Acoustics seem to be rattling Scanspeak's World ATM.

Dirt cheap drivers with good motors and low inductance copper pole-pieces and high Qms.

They always have issues with peaky cone-breakup, but on a desert island I might have time for high-order crossovers to fix that. Or use the MFC polycone types.

AVI use 2kHz electronic 8th order at 2kHz with the DM10. The tweeter seems to go up to 30kHz! Below.

These drivers, AFAIK:
http://www.sbacoustics.com/index.php/products/midwoofers/nrx/6-sb17nrxc35-4/
SB26STAC-C000-4 :: SB Acoustics

The ring-radiators might be worth a go too:
SB29RDC-C000-4 :: SB Acoustics

I could have a whole heap of fun with SB. Scanspeak too. SEAS seem a bit locked into low Qms Aluminium voice-coil formers at the moment. Alright for bass, but not much good for anything else. All using solid chassis, of course.

Attachments

• AVI DM10 Active Speaker.JPG
    AVI DM10 Active Speaker.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
So not only are we saying which single manufacturer would you buy from we're also saying you have to pay for the drivers too.

I think I'd have to go with SB. They have fantastic cheap drivers and amazing expensive ones. On top of this their boutique products are priced lower than most of the competition and lose out of nothing in comparison.

The real interesting note for me though is that SB are a very young company and keep diversifying. Give them a couple more years and their line up will probably have grown significantly.

My other choice would probably be Tang Band as they have so many different types of driver. I have a lot of fun building all sorts of different types of loudspeaker, from small, single driver affairs, to large multiways. TB cater to this extremely well. Give it a few more years and SB might too!

Right!

Maybe we should make another category. While on this deserted island a container falls off a ship with a massive shipment of speakers. Who would you wish it to be, if different from the one you'd be paying for. :)

Best,

Erik

So not only are we saying which single manufacturer would you buy from we're also saying you have to pay for the drivers too.

I think I'd have to go with SB. They have fantastic cheap drivers and amazing expensive ones. On top of this their boutique products are priced lower than most of the competition and lose out of nothing in comparison.

The real interesting note for me though is that SB are a very young company and keep diversifying. Give them a couple more years and their line up will probably have grown significantly.

My other choice would probably be Tang Band as they have so many different types of driver. I have a lot of fun building all sorts of different types of loudspeaker, from small, single driver affairs, to large multiways. TB cater to this extremely well. Give it a few more years and SB might too!

SB Acoustics seem to be rattling Scanspeak's World ATM.

Dirt cheap drivers with good motors and low inductance copper pole-pieces and high Qms.

They always have issues with peaky cone-breakup, but on a desert island I might have time for high-order crossovers to fix that. Or use the MFC polycone types.

AVI use 2kHz electronic 8th order at 2kHz with the DM10. The tweeter seems to go up to 30kHz! Below.

These drivers, AFAIK:
http://www.sbacoustics.com/index.php/products/midwoofers/nrx/6-sb17nrxc35-4/
SB26STAC-C000-4 :: SB Acoustics

The ring-radiators might be worth a go too:
SB29RDC-C000-4 :: SB Acoustics

I could have a whole heap of fun with SB. Scanspeak too. SEAS seem a bit locked into low Qms Aluminium voice-coil formers at the moment. Alright for bass, but not much good for anything else. All using solid chassis, of course.

Tempted to try that dirt cheap SB dome tweet with a satori midbass.

If only choosing one brand for life it would be between Morel and SBA.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.