New SB Acoustics 3 way from Troels

It looks a lot like what Jeff Bagby did with Kairos and later added 10" woofer. Drivers are the same, xover topology is almost the same, even the front baffle tilt is at the same angle. The only difference that i see is notch filters everywhere.

Last edited:
Aesthetics clearly based on Wilson Sophia
I would expect notch filters in a solid 3 way design, at least to tackle box resonance impedance peak for mid driver. The xover actually strickes me as simple compared to some of TGs other designs, I attribute this to the quality of the drivers.
There are not a lot of high quality 3 way Diy designs out there, the cabinets look nice but somewhat involved to build. Might have to give this design a go some time

Crossing mid/tweeter at 1.6K would be a prime opportunity to attempt to use a notch filter and asymmetric crossover to flatten out the wiggle/dip in the response of the MW16P that occurs at ~1.2K. To bad it still rears it's ugly head in the system response.

With these XOs, it will make sense tuse a Seas 17cm magnesium cone to really hit 150 Hz or a little else... The big Seas or a SCan Speak in the low end and keep the tweeter or put an inverted Focal... to try to do better than the Wilson Audio (how important is the cabinet ???)...

Viva a good LR4 with magnesium mid and LR4 with the tweeter as well ! But it's forbidden to mix the sponsors:D

At 1600 Hz the Seas could be a good match according Zaph measurement : https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...xcel-w18ex-001-e0017-7-magnesium-cone-woofer/

After the Sophia SB semi clone, perhaps a Sophia-Seas half cloned, hey ! (at the price of LR4 instead LR2) !

Btw al quadratto Sophia Scan Speak Sister with a Be in the high, a Revelator coated below should be an alternativ...:Pawprint:

More and more the OBL-15 seems pretty to me in a dedicated room, although yet a little to low efficienty ! Zaph measured a low 91 dB efficienty with the old 8" Jantzen.... (he measure at 1 W, not 2.83 sensivity ?)

Last edited:
Viva a good LR4 with magnesium mid and LR4 with the tweeter as well ! But it's forbidden to mix the sponsors:D

At 1600 Hz the Seas could be a good match according Zaph measurement : https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...xcel-w18ex-001-e0017-7-magnesium-cone-woofer/

After the Sophia SB semi clone, perhaps a Sophia-Seas half cloned, hey ! (at the price of LR4 instead LR2) !

Btw al quadratto Sophia Scan Speak Sister with a Be in the high, a Revelator coated below should be an alternativ...:Pawprint:

More and more the OBL-15 seems pretty to me in a dedicated room, although yet a little to low efficienty ! Zaph measured a low 91 dB efficienty with the old 8" Jantzen.... (he measure at 1 W, not 2.83 sensivity ?)

I have an LR4 between Seas magnesium W15CY and Seas T25CF001. I have to say i have heard better.

Agree Face. but i was wondering what that is doing to the distortions produced by the tweeter at high SPL
It is a pretty robust tweeter, but there's no way to know without listening and measuring.
I have an LR4 between Seas magnesium W15CY and Seas T25CF001. I have to say i have heard better.
Seas W12CY and SS Air Circ together sound very good.

It looks a lot like what Jeff Bagby did with Kairos and later added 10" woofer. Drivers are the same, xover topology is almost the same, even the front baffle tilt is at the same angle.

Just read up on it, hadn't realized JB used this SBA 10". His design has 3 different options. Otherwise not much info on this woofer, tho he seemed to like it. Thinking to use it sealed in a design with 5.5 revs.