Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

New SB Acoustics 3 way from Troels
New SB Acoustics 3 way from Troels
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd May 2016, 02:42 PM   #11
Eldam is offline Eldam  France
Banned

With these XOs, it will make sense tuse a Seas 17cm magnesium cone to really hit 150 Hz or a little else... The big Seas or a SCan Speak in the low end and keep the tweeter or put an inverted Focal... to try to do better than the Wilson Audio (how important is the cabinet ???)...
Old 22nd May 2016, 03:10 PM   #12
diyaudnut is offline diyaudnut  United States
diyAudio Member

a bit confused about the 1.6KHz LR2. Seems really low/shallow, wont the tweeter distortions be high at loud levels?

Also the 6" satori can go higher, ofcourse beaming and c2c start limiting that
Old 22nd May 2016, 03:31 PM   #13
Eldam is offline Eldam  France
Banned

Viva a good LR4 with magnesium mid and LR4 with the tweeter as well ! But it's forbidden to mix the sponsors

At 1600 Hz the Seas could be a good match according Zaph measurement : https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...m-cone-woofer/

After the Sophia SB semi clone, perhaps a Sophia-Seas half cloned, hey ! (at the price of LR4 instead LR2) !

Btw al quadratto Sophia Scan Speak Sister with a Be in the high, a Revelator coated below should be an alternativ...

More and more the OBL-15 seems pretty to me in a dedicated room, although yet a little to low efficienty ! Zaph measured a low 91 dB efficienty with the old 8" Jantzen.... (he measure at 1 W, not 2.83 sensivity ?)

Last edited by Eldam; 22nd May 2016 at 03:34 PM.
Old 22nd May 2016, 03:33 PM   #14
Face is offline Face  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojip View Post
a bit confused about the 1.6KHz LR2. Seems really low/shallow, wont the tweeter distortions be high at loud levels?

Also the 6" satori can go higher, ofcourse beaming and c2c start limiting that
The low crossover point and shallow crossover slope help with off axis.
Old 22nd May 2016, 04:45 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face View Post
The low crossover point and shallow crossover slope help with off axis.
Agree Face. but i was wondering what that is doing to the distortions produced by the tweeter at high SPL
Old 22nd May 2016, 04:47 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldam View Post
Viva a good LR4 with magnesium mid and LR4 with the tweeter as well ! But it's forbidden to mix the sponsors

At 1600 Hz the Seas could be a good match according Zaph measurement : https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...m-cone-woofer/

After the Sophia SB semi clone, perhaps a Sophia-Seas half cloned, hey ! (at the price of LR4 instead LR2) !

Btw al quadratto Sophia Scan Speak Sister with a Be in the high, a Revelator coated below should be an alternativ...

More and more the OBL-15 seems pretty to me in a dedicated room, although yet a little to low efficienty ! Zaph measured a low 91 dB efficienty with the old 8" Jantzen.... (he measure at 1 W, not 2.83 sensivity ?)
I have an LR4 between Seas magnesium W15CY and Seas T25CF001. I have to say i have heard better.
Old 22nd May 2016, 05:01 PM   #17
Face is offline Face  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Agree Face. but i was wondering what that is doing to the distortions produced by the tweeter at high SPL
It is a pretty robust tweeter, but there's no way to know without listening and measuring.
Quote:
I have an LR4 between Seas magnesium W15CY and Seas T25CF001. I have to say i have heard better.
Seas W12CY and SS Air Circ together sound very good.
Old 22nd May 2016, 09:18 PM   #18
fatmarley is offline fatmarley  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'd be very surprised if they didn't distort at high volume.
Old 23rd May 2016, 12:01 AM   #19
Bill poster is offline Bill poster  Thailand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zvu View Post
It looks a lot like what Jeff Bagby did with Kairos and later added 10" woofer. Drivers are the same, xover topology is almost the same, even the front baffle tilt is at the same angle.
Just read up on it, hadn't realized JB used this SBA 10". His design has 3 different options. Otherwise not much info on this woofer, tho he seemed to like it. Thinking to use it sealed in a design with 5.5 revs.
Old 23rd May 2016, 06:42 AM   #20
Zvu is offline Zvu  Serbia
diyAudio Member

I know of SB29NRX-75 and CSS SDX-10. What's the third option ?

I'd use it sealed too. F3=40Hz is right on the money for me.

Last edited by Zvu; 23rd May 2016 at 06:44 AM.

New SB Acoustics 3 way from TroelsHide this!Advertise here!