Series filter (Visaton stella light) for open baffle?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm about to make a crossover, and I saw the very elegant and not to mention cheap Visaton Stella Light crossover (made up of just two parts) for that particular FAST build. Is there any chance a build like that would work my speakers? I couldn't find too much theory or forum threads on these kind of filters, but I might be looking under the wrong terms.

My speakers as they stand are open baffle (Mark Audio CHR-70 third gen, metal, over Eminence Alpha 15a's). I know run both drivers full range like the peasant I am, and while they sound fun I have the idea I really need an XO :)

I'm sorry if it's a stupid Q, I only recently got in the hobby.

IMG_4861 by ctjr, on Flickr

Screen Shot 2016-05-18 at 19.03.35 by ctjr, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi, thy handle tells me, that thou may understand German a bit, Lohengrimas. There is a software called Boxsim, which can do most domestic loudspeaker stuff virtually. (Only thing i miss, is two different drivers in the same enclosure.) I sooner not equalize the open baffle bass loss completely passively but stop at 10 mH or so, just enuff to pull down level of the Eminence to the one of the Mark Alpair, and do the rest, what is still needed, on the small signal side. I would also be on the Less Is More side and try to archieve flat phase response(, which Boxsim does not tell thee, it only tells single driver phase, but thou can deduce über-alles phase easily). Grasso

Hi, thy handle tells me, that thou may understand German a bit, Lohengrimas. There is a software called Boxsim, which can do most domestic loudspeaker stuff virtually. (Only thing i miss, is two different drivers in the same enclosure.) I sooner not equalize the open baffle bass loss completely passively but stop at 10 mH or so, just enuff to pull down level of the Eminence to the one of the Mark Alpair, and do the rest, what is still needed, on the small signal side. I would also be on the Less Is More side and try to archieve flat phase response(, which Boxsim does not tell thee, it only tells single driver phase, but thou can deduce über-alles phase easily). Grasso

yes, thanks, I'll try Boxsim, and thanks for the guidance!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.