Best 10 Woofer, Compression Driver and x-over Combo for Econowave build in 20 by 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th May 2016, 11:51 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Best 10 Woofer, Compression Driver and x-over Combo for Econowave build in 20 by 13

Compression Driver and x-over Combo for Econowave build in 20” by 13” cabinet.

UPDATE 051716: my Dad is giving me a JBL 127h-2 10 inch woofer salvaged from a JBL L80 (I think) so that takes care of the woofer choice.

Hey Guys! I know Im a bit late to the econowave craze but I suddenly found myself in need of a custom small floor stander a la Klipsch Heresy because I just moved into a smaller condo. A local carpenter will build the cabs for me and my Dad will help tweak a crossover. I know that GOOGLE is my friend but I’ve been diving down into the other forums and I’m starting to get a nosebleed from the differing opinions, broken pic links and dozens of variations on this speaker build.

Some of the information available in the forums are currently 5 years old and I don’t know if there were any other advances in the crossover and materials department of the econowave so I’m asking for help to keep me current on the best choices for an econowave build. Here are the current cab plans and look of the builds I’m aiming for:

Click the image to open in full size.

Here are some things I plan to have in the build:

Budget: In the spirit of its name, I plan to buy the most (CHEAP) value for money materials in terms of price and performance.

10” Woofer (please suggest a driver)
1” Compression Driver (please suggest)
Wave Guide (Please Suggest)
Port Holes (optional, depends on recommendations)
Crossover: Please recommend a x over schematic that I can start upon emphasis on tight lows and non-grating treble.
Focus would be on efficiency because I’lll use an TUBE 18 Watt S.E.T. I can buy a pre-built one pending recommendations or I can buy a schematic design and have my Dad build me the crossover.

I hope to get a clean 50hertz on the bass but I can settle for 60 Hz.
This will be against a wall so some boundary reinforcement on the lows may happen.

What'a a good distance from the edge of the WAVEGUIDE to the EDGE of the Woofer?

Thank you for your help!

Last edited by stampants; 17th May 2016 at 02:17 PM.
Old 15th May 2016, 12:06 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Any suggestions on cabinet design will also be considered
Old 15th May 2016, 01:27 PM   #3
gideon is offline gideon  Israel
diyAudio Member

Subscribed as I am on a similar quest!

Meanwhile check out the fusion 10s on diysoundgroup:
Fusion-10 Series DIY Sound Group

And this helpful thread of open designs based on the seos waveguide:
Links to Completed Speaker Designs | HiFiCircuit
Old 15th May 2016, 01:49 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gideon View Post
Subscribed as I am on a similar quest!

Meanwhile check out the fusion 10s on diysoundgroup:
Fusion-10 Series DIY Sound Group

And this helpful thread of open designs based on the seos waveguide:
Links to Completed Speaker Designs | HiFiCircuit
Thanks for this!
Old 15th May 2016, 04:09 PM   #5
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member

the whole concept on an 'Econowave' is an exercise in DIY (that is Do it YOURSELF) take an existing speaker and upgrade it using an off the shelf compression driver & horn. Do the research or perhaps you should copy someone else's design mods. (this is what I understand from reading the thread over at AudioKarma, here http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/ind...1#post-2260584
you seem to be looking for a "Econowave kit" AFAIK it doesn't work like that

Last edited by infinia; 15th May 2016 at 04:13 PM.
Old 15th May 2016, 04:47 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinia View Post
the whole concept on an 'Econowave' is an exercise in DIY (that is Do it YOURSELF) take an existing speaker and upgrade it using an off the shelf compression driver & horn. Do the research or perhaps you should copy someone else's design mods. (this is what I understand from reading the thread over at AudioKarma, here Zilch's AK Design Collaborative - Econowave Speaker | Page 121 | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums
you seem to be looking for a "Econowave kit" AFAIK it doesn't work like that
Not looking for a kit per se as this will be build from scratch with the assistance of a carpenter and my Dad for the xover.

This is an exercise in getting my feet wet on speaker diy-ing with assistance from people who know better so I dont damage myself and the parts.

I'm currently reading through that thread too and if you notice most of the links are dead and over 6 years old (even Zilch has passed on to the great gig in the sky).

What im looking for is extra info since 6 years may yield better parts.

This thread is looking for suggestions on what I can buy currently. (Some of the suggested parts in most of the links in AK arent available in partsexpress anymore)

As for the xover I'm looking for suggestions and will try to build that with my Dad. I was only exploring the possibility of a prebuilt one since I read in that Zilch / AK thread that some people have been building xovers for sale.

Ive been doing the research but a little help goes a long way y'know....

If it seems Im looking for an easy / lazy way to go about this I apologize but I believe learning will come once I get the parts and dive in.

Peace.
Old 15th May 2016, 04:59 PM   #7
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member

post a thread in audiokarma. seems you should have more help from users that have 'hoed that same row'.
from my POV asking specific questions shows you've done at least some work rather than asking for the lot on a silver platter.

Last edited by infinia; 15th May 2016 at 05:04 PM.
Old 15th May 2016, 05:19 PM   #8
Face is offline Face  United States
diyAudio Member

Since you're in a small condo, a CD may not be needed.
Here is a waveguide made for domes: http://www.diysoundgroup.com/plastic...8-tweeter.html
This dome works well in it: http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...eeter--275-130
As for woofers, PE and Madisound have an excellent selection of 8" woofers. Look for one with smooth response to 2k.
http://www.parts-express.com/cat/woofers/15
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-8-woofers/
Old 15th May 2016, 05:21 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face View Post
Since you're in a small condo, a CD may not be needed.
Here is a waveguide made for domes: SEOS-8? for domes DIY Sound Group
This dome works well in it: Dayton Audio RS28A-4 1-1/8" Aluminum Dome Tweeter
As for woofers, PE and Madisound have an excellent selection of 8" woofers. Look for one with smooth response to 2k.
Woofers in the Speaker Components Department at Parts Express | 15
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-8-woofers/
Now this is VERY HELPFUL!

Thanks!
Old 15th May 2016, 07:58 PM   #10
EarlK is offline EarlK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampants View Post
Best 10” Woofer, Compression Driver and x-over Combo for Econowave build in 20” by 13” cabinet.

Hey Guys! I know Im a bit late to the econowave craze but I suddenly found myself in need of a custom small floor stander a la Klipsch Heresy because I just moved into a smaller condo. A local carpenter will build the cabs for me and my Dad will help tweak a crossover. I know that GOOGLE is my friend but I’ve been diving down into the other forums and I’m starting to get a nosebleed from the differing opinions, broken pic links and dozens of variations on this speaker build.

Some of the information available in the forums are currently 5 years old and I don’t know if there were any other advances in the crossover and materials department of the econowave so I’m asking for help to keep me current on the best choices for an econowave build. Here are the current cab plans and look of the builds I’m aiming for:

Here are some things I plan to have in the build:

Budget: In the spirit of its name, I plan to buy the most (CHEAP) value for money materials in terms of price and performance.

10” Woofer (please suggest a driver)
1” Compression Driver (please suggest)
Wave Guide (Please Suggest)
Port Holes (optional, depends on recommendations)
Crossover: Please recommend a x over schematic that I can start upon emphasis on tight lows and non-grating treble. Focus would be on efficiency because I’lll use an TUBE 18 Watt S.E.T. I can buy a pre-built one pending recommendations or I can buy a schematic design and have my Dad build me the crossover.

I hope to get a clean 50hertz on the bass but I can settle for 60 Hz.
This will be against a wall so some boundary reinforcement on the lows may happen

Thank you for your help!
Considering your guileless ( plus "hat-in-hand" ) approach to DIY, I'd recommend that you focus on finding a kit that meets your needs .

As Face has pointed out, DIYSG has many parts ( as well as kits ) for the novice AIYer ( though most kits will require a sub to be considered full-range ) .

Here's one with the Wave-Guide that Face previously mentioned.

Peter Schumacher's Marksmen on it's own should be just fine for the apartment dweller.

If you find it wanting ( & your neighbors don't mind ) one could increase it's output capabilities by doubling up the woofers into a TMM or MTM configuration ( this would require a network redesign, as well as a larger enclosure // contact the designer for the network redesign, $$ ).

Hide this!Advertise here!