Best 10” Woofer, Compression Driver and x-over Combo for Econowave build in 20” by 13

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Compression Driver and x-over Combo for Econowave build in 20” by 13” cabinet.

UPDATE 051716: my Dad is giving me a JBL 127h-2 10 inch woofer salvaged from a JBL L80 (I think) so that takes care of the woofer choice.

Hey Guys! I know Im a bit late to the econowave craze but I suddenly found myself in need of a custom small floor stander a la Klipsch Heresy because I just moved into a smaller condo. A local carpenter will build the cabs for me and my Dad will help tweak a crossover. I know that GOOGLE is my friend but I’ve been diving down into the other forums and I’m starting to get a nosebleed from the differing opinions, broken pic links and dozens of variations on this speaker build.

Some of the information available in the forums are currently 5 years old and I don’t know if there were any other advances in the crossover and materials department of the econowave so I’m asking for help to keep me current on the best choices for an econowave build. Here are the current cab plans and look of the builds I’m aiming for:

Here are some things I plan to have in the build:

Budget: In the spirit of its name, I plan to buy the most (CHEAP) value for money materials in terms of price and performance.

10” Woofer (please suggest a driver)
1” Compression Driver (please suggest)
Wave Guide (Please Suggest)
Port Holes (optional, depends on recommendations)
Crossover: Please recommend a x over schematic that I can start upon emphasis on tight lows and non-grating treble.
Focus would be on efficiency because I’lll use an TUBE 18 Watt S.E.T. I can buy a pre-built one pending recommendations or I can buy a schematic design and have my Dad build me the crossover.

I hope to get a clean 50hertz on the bass but I can settle for 60 Hz.
This will be against a wall so some boundary reinforcement on the lows may happen.

What'a a good distance from the edge of the WAVEGUIDE to the EDGE of the Woofer?

Thank you for your help!

Last edited:
the whole concept on an 'Econowave' is an exercise in DIY (that is Do it YOURSELF) take an existing speaker and upgrade it using an off the shelf compression driver & horn. Do the research or perhaps you should copy someone else's design mods. (this is what I understand from reading the thread over at AudioKarma, here http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/in...conowave-speaker.150939/page-121#post-2260584
you seem to be looking for a "Econowave kit" AFAIK it doesn't work like that

Last edited:
the whole concept on an 'Econowave' is an exercise in DIY (that is Do it YOURSELF) take an existing speaker and upgrade it using an off the shelf compression driver & horn. Do the research or perhaps you should copy someone else's design mods. (this is what I understand from reading the thread over at AudioKarma, here Zilch's AK Design Collaborative - Econowave Speaker | Page 121 | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums
you seem to be looking for a "Econowave kit" AFAIK it doesn't work like that

Not looking for a kit per se as this will be build from scratch with the assistance of a carpenter and my Dad for the xover.

This is an exercise in getting my feet wet on speaker diy-ing with assistance from people who know better so I dont damage myself and the parts.

I'm currently reading through that thread too and if you notice most of the links are dead and over 6 years old (even Zilch has passed on to the great gig in the sky).

What im looking for is extra info since 6 years may yield better parts.

This thread is looking for suggestions on what I can buy currently. (Some of the suggested parts in most of the links in AK arent available in partsexpress anymore)

As for the xover I'm looking for suggestions and will try to build that with my Dad. I was only exploring the possibility of a prebuilt one since I read in that Zilch / AK thread that some people have been building xovers for sale.

Ive been doing the research but a little help goes a long way y'know....

If it seems Im looking for an easy / lazy way to go about this I apologize but I believe learning will come once I get the parts and dive in.

Peace.

post a thread in audiokarma. seems you should have more help from users that have 'hoed that same row'.
from my POV asking specific questions shows you've done at least some work rather than asking for the lot on a silver platter.

Last edited:
Since you're in a small condo, a CD may not be needed.
Here is a waveguide made for domes: SEOS-8? for domes DIY Sound Group
This dome works well in it: Dayton Audio RS28A-4 1-1/8" Aluminum Dome Tweeter
As for woofers, PE and Madisound have an excellent selection of 8" woofers. Look for one with smooth response to 2k.
Woofers in the Speaker Components Department at Parts Express | 15
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-8-woofers/

Now this is VERY HELPFUL!

Thanks!

Best 10” Woofer, Compression Driver and x-over Combo for Econowave build in 20” by 13” cabinet.

Hey Guys! I know Im a bit late to the econowave craze but I suddenly found myself in need of a custom small floor stander a la Klipsch Heresy because I just moved into a smaller condo. A local carpenter will build the cabs for me and my Dad will help tweak a crossover. I know that GOOGLE is my friend but I’ve been diving down into the other forums and I’m starting to get a nosebleed from the differing opinions, broken pic links and dozens of variations on this speaker build.

Some of the information available in the forums are currently 5 years old and I don’t know if there were any other advances in the crossover and materials department of the econowave so I’m asking for help to keep me current on the best choices for an econowave build. Here are the current cab plans and look of the builds I’m aiming for:

Here are some things I plan to have in the build:

Budget: In the spirit of its name, I plan to buy the most (CHEAP) value for money materials in terms of price and performance.

10” Woofer (please suggest a driver)
1” Compression Driver (please suggest)
Wave Guide (Please Suggest)
Port Holes (optional, depends on recommendations)
Crossover: Please recommend a x over schematic that I can start upon emphasis on tight lows and non-grating treble. Focus would be on efficiency because I’lll use an TUBE 18 Watt S.E.T. I can buy a pre-built one pending recommendations or I can buy a schematic design and have my Dad build me the crossover.

I hope to get a clean 50hertz on the bass but I can settle for 60 Hz.
This will be against a wall so some boundary reinforcement on the lows may happen

Thank you for your help!

Considering your guileless ( plus "hat-in-hand" ) approach to DIY, I'd recommend that you focus on finding a kit that meets your needs .

As Face has pointed out, DIYSG has many parts ( as well as kits ) for the novice AIYer ( though most kits will require a sub to be considered full-range ) .

Here's one with the Wave-Guide that Face previously mentioned.

Peter Schumacher's Marksmen on it's own should be just fine for the apartment dweller.

If you find it wanting ( & your neighbors don't mind ) one could increase it's output capabilities by doubling up the woofers into a TMM or MTM configuration ( this would require a network redesign, as well as a larger enclosure // contact the designer for the network redesign, $$ ).

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

:)

If you find it wanting ( & your neighbors don't mind ) one could increase it's output capabilities by doubling up the woofers into a TMM or MTM configuration ( this would require a network redesign, as well as a larger enclosure // contact the designer for the network redesign, $$ ).
A MTM or TMM may not work out as I don't believe the RS28 is efficient enough. For either of those configurations to work, a CD or more efficient tweeter would be needed.

A MTM or TMM may not work out as I don't believe the RS28 is efficient enough. For either of those configurations to work, a CD or more efficient tweeter would be needed.

Thanks for that. I agree ( after some modeling ) .
- ( After poking around very briefly in XSim ), I can see just how difficult it is to get the system back up to even 90db using dual woofers ( while maintaining a reasonable system impedance ) .

seems some of the other posters have missed this tiny lil detail^
in the beginning Pro type woofers were deemed necessary in spite of later EWave machinations.

No ( not missed at all here ), just politely ignored.

The OP has twice been directed to a site with a preponderance of H.E. solutions ( let him make the specific discoveries by exercising his own curiosity ).

Once he starts poking around and seeing what's for sale at DIYSG, maybe some light-bulbs will go off .

This is one case where an extra 2" does make a BIG difference.
Try to fit the size and cost of the diysoundgroup Fusion-12 into your plans. BIG STEP UP! Save $$ by purchasing $65 MDF cabinet.

Fusion-10 $216 F3 ~55Hz
--compression driver: Denovo DNA-205: $34

Fusion-12 $329 F3 ~ 38Hz
--compression driver: Denovo DNA-360: $79.50
--Flat pack CNC MDF cabinet for $65 Could save on woodshop cost.
•14.5" x 26" x 14.25" deep (with front panel)
•2 cu ft net when used with ports
•2.15 cu ft net when used sealed
•42 lbs

Fusion-12 Tempest DIY Sound Group

you can take a look at the Bob Crites CS-1T at the link below. Bob uses a twelve but I imagine a ten could be configured. Excellent horn and driver (Faital Pro). Also consider a tower versuin as you really want your horn to be centred at your seated ear level for best stage and image. A small two way on a stand takes up the same floor space and results less bass compared to a tower.

Crites CS-1 And CS-1.5 Speaker Project | Critesspeakers.com

Craigslist had a few excellent Klipsch Heresy rev.1 and rev.2 for $450 - $600 per pair near my home. There are posted Xover-tweeks you can build and measure with your Dad. Easy resale if you move, or DIY $$$ audio perfection later. Diy audio perfection starts at $2K/speaker.

klipsch heresy speakers craigslist

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.