SEAS A26 in oversize cabinet

I ordered the SEAS A26 kit (mid woofer and tweeter) and am about to build the cabinet (aperiodic) which is specified at 28 l. volume.
I'm mostly after the above 80Hz spectrum as the bottom two octaves are taken care of by my distributed bass system.
I've been thinking of increasing the cabinet volume but mostly for the soundstage enlargement sake, not bass.
I will appreciate any thoughts, opinions, advice on this idea.
Real life experience cases also appreciated.

Here is an established variant in a bigger closed box. Must be 50-60L or maybe more. The Vas/Qts calculation gives you a whopping 85L.

544358d1461023390-devore-orangutan-clone-wd25t-ex-peter-comeau.jpg

Designing Loudspeakers - WD25T EX - The next step

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/272810-devore-orangutan-clone-4.html#post4686977

Hi Steve. Thanks for the link to the WD25T EX. I am quite interested in this build as I am quite a fan of the Devore Orangutan which I heard at a HI FI show a year or so ago. I thought it was the "best in show" at the time and was very impressed with its ability to make any recording come alive. I've been looking at the Seas A26 kit but I like the idea of a slightly taller larger enclosure. The second link you gave didn't work for me (said I didn't have access) I assume it had the cabinet details. Do you have the cabinet details in another format.

Cheers : Ian T.

I am interested in using the new A26 kit with the new T35C002 tweeter (and A26RE4 paper mid- woofer). In the 28L box Seas designers propose to cross them at 1500hz with a simple
high pass filter (1 cap, 1 resistor). The midwoofer works full range.
I really like the simple crossover idea and would like to preserve it in a bigger cabinet.
My goal is to have the speaker work nicely with my distributed bass system (4 subwoofers)
and take over from ca 60-70 hz.
The thing I'm really after is bigger soundstage than in the 28L box.
Do you think I can simply enlarge the cabinet to 60-70 litres and keep the original A26 drivers/XO setup? The only parameters to regulate would be the resistor value and stuffing
(or lack) of the aperiodic slot.

Of course, nobody knows what crossover is in the Orangutan. But a 10" bass and a low crossover tweeter just play nicely together.

Peter Comeau does a more sophisticated filter than SEAS, and a better sounding one from my experiments. I think it is marginally changed by the bigger baffle, perhaps on the crossover null particularly, but hardly audible I'd think. Varios Excel SEAS tweeters were used over the years, people have even used metal ones.

Here's the build pdf for the WD25T EX. I don't have the tuning up Part 2. Planet 10's transmission line must be good too. People always make out transmission lines are hard, but they all look the same to me. :)

Attachments

• WD25T_Part1.pdf
    966.4 KB · Views: 1,138
I am interested in using the new A26 kit with the new T35C002 tweeter (and A26RE4 paper mid- woofer). In the 28L box Seas designers propose to cross them at 1500hz with a simple
high pass filter (1 cap, 1 resistor). The midwoofer works full range.
I really like the simple crossover idea and would like to preserve it in a bigger cabinet.
My goal is to have the speaker work nicely with my distributed bass system (4 subwoofers)
and take over from ca 60-70 hz.
The thing I'm really after is bigger soundstage than in the 28L box.
Do you think I can simply enlarge the cabinet to 60-70 litres and keep the original A26 drivers/XO setup? The only parameters to regulate would be the resistor value and stuffing
(or lack) of the aperiodic slot.

If you're using subs I'd just stick to 28ltr. Going bigger just trades midbass for more low frequency extension.

EDIT: Just realised I replied to a 5 year old post.

I've just started my project «SEAS A26 floor stander». Pretty much like the SEAS recommendation, but the height is extended to 85cm. 18mm BB plywood with bracings.

Considering making the rear wall removable with sealing and screws. It would be easier to experiment with damping material. In addition, I can go for M5 machine screws for attaching the woofer. Any views on this?

IMG_3238.jpeg