The Coolest Fostex Horns I Have Ever Seen:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Good point Bill. Since the layers are all identical, (ok, except for the outermost) this is quite practical.

I spent some time trying to figure out how to make Lynn Olsen's Ariel speakers this way, but got into other designs. Certainly would be time to get a high-end router.

Someone could make a kit and include just one templete. A lot cheaper to ship than all the layers!

Mark

Beyond totaly cool!

Sorry to understate my reation to the Japeneese Routerfest speakers.

With a CNC router or mill you could make these out of plastics, Corian, and other very dense materials.

This design concept is very cool. A web based service bureau that could deliver let you design on line and then deliver the layers would get my credit card out.:bigeyes:

Re: Beyond totaly cool!

BStrum said:
Sorry to understate my reation to the Japeneese Routerfest speakers.

With a CNC router or mill you could make these out of plastics, Corian, and other very dense materials.

This design concept is very cool. A web based service bureau that could deliver let you design on line and then deliver the layers would get my credit card out.:bigeyes:

It's a shame I'm not in the US :bawling:

Rob

Attachments

• robspk1.jpg
    robspk1.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 3,916
Variac said:
If you mixed up the layer materials say Corian, plywood, mdf Aluminum (OK, Maybe not all at once...) you could get a cool look
AND constrained layer damping

Don’t see why you need such a rigid construction for a horn. The pressure in a horn is very low compared to CB’s and BR’s.

Anyway it looks very cool :)

Cheers ;)

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Horns may not need the strength, but I suspect that they resonate like crazy at higher frequencies. At higher frequencies his is not a function of pressure, but the driver directly exciting the cabinet.

So good damping is a plus, which is what constrained layer gives you: two materials that want to resonate at diferent frequencies,
glued together so the "fight" each other.

I don't see any reason to apply this techinque only to horns. In the case of horn the advantages are a nice smooth path and it's probably easier to make a complex horn,

some transmission lines such as the Arial are pretty complicated so this technique has te same advantage of simplifiing construction, and they have pressure issues also

TAD makes it's cabinets this way for a sealed box. In this case it is to combat pressure and resonance. The incorporate bracing across the void, and the layers are horizontal

SO, my point is that this is the ideal construction for almost all high end speakers!!

Curves!

Back in’74 we were quite a lot of diy speakerbuilders in Denmark, that made horns with rounded curves.
We used a mixture of cement and plaster and casted (right word?) all the non-linear parts. I’ve got drawings for huge hyperbolic horns (we called them concrete-horns).
My speakers were 60x60x140 cm and could play really LOUD and went down to around 35 Hz, but they had a very low WAF-factor (wife-acceptance-factor) and I had to chose between wife and speakers. I don’t have my speakers anymore(!), but I still have the tinnitus, that I got from listening to them! – and my wife!
;)

Jørn

Attachments

• concrete horns.jpg
    concrete horns.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 3,087
GrahamnDodder said:
Medum -

Cool book...

It looks old (as in not available from Amazon). Could I pay you to photocopy the relevant horn pages?

GnD

No!:nod:
You won't have to pay anything.
It's from a danish magazine "high fidelity" and the article was from feb/marts 74! Old, yeah!
And we did a 1,4 scale-up version later in september - see picture.
I don't have acces to a scanner, but I can take photographs and send them to you by mail - and I warn you - I don't have the time for translating.

I have broadband, so I could send you large files - what about you?

Jørn

Attachments

• egoisthorn.jpg
    egoisthorn.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 2,690
Hi Medum,

It is readily available at most wood stores and DIY stores here in the Netherlands. I am planning to build my next CB bass speakers from it. It is even easier to work with than plain panels. Just make a skeleton of curved bracing plates and curved end plates and bend it around. It only eats a lot of glue :D

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.