Nucleus: my attempt at building the best sounding small speaker I can

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, please can you explain to me better the meaning of "phase wrapped" about LR4 symmetric Xover (I'm a beginner..)? What's the best topology of passive Xover from this point of view?
Thanks.

Most graphs limit the phase to plus and minus 180 degrees to keep the graph a manageable size. So when the phase goes beyond +/- 180 it "wraps" to the other side, resulting in a straight line at the "wrap". See the phase wrap in the attachment at 50 Hz.

Some people think excess phase change (as indicated by a wrap) degrades the sound. Other people not so much. I've seen studies that support both sides of the question. Your decision.

The use of DSP does make it much easier to achieve minimum and linear phase speakers, there's no doubt to that.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Phase Wrap.JPG
    Phase Wrap.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 135
Hello, please can you explain to me better the meaning of "phase wrapped" about LR4 symmetric Xover (I'm a beginner..)?...

Beside nice points from Grasso789 and ernperkins maybe below can help, picture one phase is exactly same as picture two but with wraps we get better Y axis resolution, they show system with LR4 XO points at 600Hz and 3kHz and system band pass is BW2 stop-band slopes at 20Hz and 24kHz, all these particular slopes form systems unique phase sum. Picture 3 can maybe help better understand that after 360º we start same wave again but its out of sync if we sum it there and if we sum a wave that is 180º apart it will cansel.

Attachments

• 90.png
    90.png
    24.5 KB · Views: 133
  • 91.png
    91.png
    22.3 KB · Views: 139
  • 92.PNG
    92.PNG
    42.8 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Doesn't seem that this system will provide much headroom. A Tangband W4-1720 has a sensitivity of 86db, 60 watts peak; driven by a SMSL SA-50 with 50 watts. That leaves 90 db SPL (with 14db for headroom). If the equalization eats 8 db of power for the bass, it seems that it won't play very loud before clipping. Eh?

Doesn't seem that this system will provide much headroom. A Tangband W4-1720 has a sensitivity of 86db, 60 watts peak; driven by a SMSL SA-50 with 50 watts. That leaves 90 db SPL (with 14db for headroom). If the equalization eats 8 db of power for the bass, it seems that it won't play very loud before clipping. Eh?

To get around the headroom problem, there is a multiband compressor applied on the woofer. At certain thresholds, as the volumes go up and exceeds the woofer's capabilities, the bass just stops getting louder. This prevents overt distortion and also protects the woofer. The result is it allows the use of the full amplifier headroom for mid and treble while giving the woofer only the power it can handle within its clean operating range.

Last edited:
To get around the headroom problem, there is a multiband compressor applied on the woofer. At certain thresholds, as the volumes go up and exceeds the woofer's capabilities, the bass just stops getting louder. This prevents overt distortion and also protects the woofer. The result is it allows the use of the full amplifier headroom for mid and treble while giving the woofer only the power it can handle within its clean operating range.
So you are using the compressor on the new 2x4 Minidsp HD??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.