Ground loop problem for sub?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just finished building a 95L sealed subwoofer. It is a 12" SAE1204 with an APEX SR amp. When I plug in the sub, which is connected to the receiver by high level inputs, it gives off this annoying humming noise. I figure it is from a ground loop problem. Here's the deal. Nothing in my setup is grounded. The tv, receiver, XBOX, DSS receiver, and dvd player are all two prong which are all connected to a surge protector. I plugged in the subwoofer into the same surge protector and I still get the same hum. I plugged it into every other outlet I could find in the house and the same thing. How do I remedy this situation? Please let me know. Thanks.

Ok so I've narrowed it down to what I think it is. I am hooking up the sub to the high level outs for the front speakers, from my receiver. When I take out the wires and only touch the negative to the negative input on the high level in, I get the low hum. It is coming from my receiver. I tested it on my other receiver, which has sub outs and there is no hum. So now my question is, how do I make this stop? I know the noise is coming from the receiver and I have no other way to hook it up than by high level. Please let me know. Thanks.

Have you tried hooking up your sytem as normal, but then removing your cable TV input from the wall? CCTV is natorious for causing ground loops in the 50Hz range and lower because the darn cable companies don't bother to ground most of their equipment for some reason. That strikes me as odd since it is required by FCC regulations and other regulatory laws for building codes, but it just doesn't ever get done to my knowledge.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.