Speaker Cone Dye - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th February 2004, 01:17 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Speaker Cone Dye

I have rather aged woofers that still are in excellent condition, but over the years extreme fading has occured.

If I wanted to dye or color the paper woofer cone, what is recommended?

I know that it will probably alter the sound, but how much would it do so?

What do the manufacturers use in production before they're put on the showroom floor?
Old 26th February 2004, 03:54 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Surely someone has had to do this and I'm very interested to know also. I'm thinking that Dammar is used quite often to tame paper cones and that it usually takes several coats to have an effect. What if Dammar, turpentine and a few drops of dark pigment were used? Or maybe just highly thinned paint?
Old 26th February 2004, 04:03 PM   #3
diyAudio Moderator

I suspect that the material is coloured during production, before shaping. The problem is that spirit based dyes may destroy adhesives used in cone construction, and water based dyes may damage the paper cone structure...

Hmm, let me think...
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 26th February 2004, 04:15 PM   #4
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

There are places that paint cones with DayGlo type paint for customers. However, I have not come across any type paint recommended for painting cones.

Perhaps this is not surprising, since there are so many cone material types and treatments that what works for one type might be disaster for another.

Planet 10 has reported success treating his cones with a coat of Puzlzecoat, a product with which I am unfamiliar. However, I get the impression that Puzzlecoat is in essence yellow carpenter's glue thinned with water slightly.

If yiou are determined to do this, I would get that Puzzlecoat if available, or thin some carpenter's glue. After it dries, I would apply some water based paint. The dried Puzzlecoat/thinned carpenter's glue should shield the woofer paper from the paint.

Under no circumstances should you take this as a safe go-ahead to do this. I have never tried this. But if I was bound and determined to paint my speakers, I would feel that this was the method most likely to yield success.
Old 26th February 2004, 04:23 PM   #5
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

For faded paper the easiest material to use is a bit of
black shoe polish or similar - very minor effect.

I did this on my very vintage 15W valve bass combo dusty
looking Alnico 15" driver, came up looking a treat.
I used black car paint on the faded black open weave grill.

Any coating, even clear will make the cone look darker,
a thin spray on flexible varnish is an option. Or a thin
layer of black car paint. For both cases keep the layers thin.

Stencil off the surround if rubber/PVC or treated and
find a tube to mask off the dust cap if its the open cell
type.

sreten.
Old 26th February 2004, 06:59 PM   #6
Lusso5 is offline Lusso5  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sreten

Any coating, even clear will make the cone look darker,
I can attest to the above statement. I've used ModgePodge, which dries clear, and it will darken a shade or two.

I think acid-free inks, combined with ModgePodge would work well for adding color.

I bought a bunch of the 0.87 cent 4" drivers from PE for experiments. I plan on doing various coating experiments on some of them: dyes, inks, gold/silver leaf and other mettalics, etc.
Old 26th February 2004, 07:06 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I get the impression that Puzzlecoat is in essence yellow carpenter's glue thinned with water slightly.
I've been told that thinned Weldbond is perhaps the best.
Old 26th February 2004, 09:32 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

THIS might be what you're looking for.........
Old 26th February 2004, 10:03 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Seems like the "protective coat of armor" would change the tonality of the cone. Good or bad?
Old 27th February 2004, 12:56 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Adding anything to the cone will change some of the T/S parameters. These include; but are not limited to, increasing the Ms, lowering the Fs, and lowering the efficiency. The impact of the changes depend on the amount of the material applied.

Hide this!Advertise here!