another horn idea...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I came up with a horn that would will the entire back of my mums stationwagon... response looks like the attached pic...

mum seemed to have no problem with it, she was just wondering where I was going to keep it... I then happened to be measuring my bed, and discovered it was the same size.. so.. looks like I'm getting a 130dB bed base... lol

its a 10inch woofer with 10mm X-max rated at 250watts rms.. the horn is HUGE!! lol

Attachments

• 10inchhornspl.png
    10inchhornspl.png
    24 KB · Views: 875
JCoffey said:
Wait, am I looking at that right? A 15 hz 100db level??? Good god! Well, one thing is for sure, you wont need a girlfriend with a bed like that! Of course, if you have one, and she uses it, she may not need you!:D

nah... it won't do 100dB at 15Hz because cone excursion is too great... with the full 250watts input (which is what the graph shows) the lowest frequency possible is slightly higher than 30Hz before the X-max in exceeded...

BAM said:
man, this is a family site! :D

Skinnyboy, we both know this is one of those things that when you get a performance level like that, you don't need any more rationale than "because I can". So I wish you luck on your journey into insane bass.

my only problem is making the box..... and getting it through the door of the house for when its not in the car :p

mikee12345 said:
Take advantage of the situation

Measure the wagon very carefully
Deside on maximum mouth size. Probably being infact 0.7 x the trunk end width-
probably ~3500cm

Then see if u can fold it to be a rectangle

Cheers!

trunk?? its a wagon... the max mouth size is 6950cm^2 I HOPE.. is its not... then the horn won't fit unless I make it slightly smaller... but I was aiming for using all the space available...

basically I have 1000mm X 750mm for the mouth (not including the thickness of the walls) and then the horn can be upto 1800mm long... :D lol

basically.... the attached pic is what would be needed to match the 30Hz SPL of this horn using the same drivers, but in a vented box.

Its a 600 litre box tuned to 27Hz, and with 2500watts input...
10 subs... 250watts each.... lol HAHAAHA!!! MWAHAHAHA!!!

someone told me that cabin gain doesn't depend on the box, and that you will get the same gain with a horn as with a ported or sealed box.. I don't know about this, but if you do, this single 10inch with 250watts will be the same as a wall of TEN 10inch subs with 2500 watts sitting right behind the seats in the car :p YAY!! lol

mikee12345 said:
i dont think youl be able to lift the horn skinnyboy :rolleyes:

aim for something you CAN MOVE!

i expect I have to fold your horn for u??

ofcourse I won't be able to move it.. :p not just cos of the weight, but because its three times as high as a standard bed matress, and the same length and width :p and there's nothing to hold onto...

umm...... yeah.... you're really good at folding horns? :D lol maybe you could help... :) please? I can't even work out the stupid program... if you fold it and send me the file.. I might be able to make adjustments if needed..... lol

EDIT: I was aiming for something I could fit through the door.... lol

mikee12345 said:
email me the exported horn flare.

calculate the horn
go to schematic
export
send me tat txt file

pay me 30$/hr
and then a horn will arrive the next day in ur mailbox :p

haha I think I'll spend the next few years doing it myself thanx :p

michael said:
Skinny, can you see out of the rear vision mirror when this THING is in the car, another idea, maybe you could make a bed stand thats a horn could make it HUGE then.

ofcourse not... its the full width and height of the back of the car :p

this is the same size as a bed base.... lol

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.