Approaching to TQWT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone

I followed these posts but it did really gave me an answer to my question :
Can we usefully make a TQWT enclosure for 12" or 15" bass-medium speaker ? I guess .. yes but I only saw speakers up to 8".
I was thinking about this excellent SUPRAVOX 285 GMF French speaker which is often shown in a Jensen/Onken style enclosure but other loads might be .. less .. WAF if you see what I mean.
I tried a 120 liter volume with a tuning BR at 40Hz but I was not totally convinced. My designing softwares gave differents results.
I was thinking about the TQWT, which has an advantage to forgive many defect on the speaker and smooth the response curve.
You may see the page : 285 GMF SUPRAVOX

Could someone help me design such an TQWT enclosure ?
Many thanks for your help
bye
:)

Greets!

Yes, you can load any size driver with a TQWT, just some will perform better overall due to the driver's specs.

Assuming its published specs are reasonably accurate, the 285 has excellent specs for TQWT [and preferably [ML-TQWT] loading as long as it's not driven with too high an output impedance [raises its effective Qts spec too much], it will just be quite large or downright huge [based on today's sizing criteria] if the Qts goes up much.

I don't have any software loaded, so others will have to help with any designing.

GM

Hello GM
I found a online calculation website : mh-audio Tapered Quarter Wave Tube
where I did simulate my enclosure. Well, I was thinking about TQWT because of a WAF problemo at home .. and .. the width is OK but the depth will send me direct in the gardenshed (with my HiFi equipement and no mains)
Though I have to go back to a "simple" vented box. My target is between 117 liter or 120 liter. I might be able to tune the 2 x 12cm cylinder vents correctly
I'll see.
Thanks for your reply
FG

Greets!

You're welcome!

This calculator is based on some VERY general assumptions and typically requires a lot of stuffing, to the point where you might as well have built a simple vented alignment in most cases or a similar size [or larger] sealed one for the rest.

FWIW, the pioneers had a nice rule-of-thumb for sizing a cab that accounts for best overall power handling that based on the 285's PUBLISHED specs is ~104.16 L [net] tuned to Fs [though if not driven with a high output impedance, a lower/higher tuning may sound better overall], so need to add in the driver, vent, any bracing volumes; and of course a bigger cab is often better overall if for no other reason than it has more tuning flexibility.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.