MS Stereo Speaker?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was wondering what peoples thoughts are on MS Stereo and if they could be combined into a single enclosure?

To record in MS (Mid-Side) stereo you would use one cardiod and one dipole microphone and position them as so...

basics_ms-1side.jpg

basics_panning.gif

To play this back, would you use three seperate speakers, the centre being the summed mono or mid (L+R) and left and right speakers playing the side signals (L-R)?

Or could this be combined into one enclosure;
Mid Signal= Two drivers, forward/rear facing, cardiod directivity by inverting signal polarity of rear driver and adding delay dependent on baffle dimensions.
Side Signal= Two drivers, left/right facing, dipole directivity by inverting signal polarity of right hand driver.

Idea being, having stereo sound from a single speaker with the option to increase or decrease sound stage/stereo width by chaning levels of M or S signals.

MS.jpg

Last edited:
Good link cls, i was thinking the same.

Rich, thats a cool idea. I think both of your implementations are worth trying. Why not use a true dipole (planar, electrostatic) for the side? True figure 8 single capsule mics are often used for ms recording.

I do have serious doubts as to how well this will work (predominantly the side channel sounds will be reflected off the walls). The three speaker setup sounds more promising.

It was a good link, I started to read it. Thanks CLS.

I also found this link which uses an OPAMP based LR-MS matrix with three monitor speakers. I was going to build a more basic matrix and use three Fostex monitor speakers for testing. I think speaker directivity is going to play a big role here, perhaps three unity horns could work or as you say a true dipole for the sides.

MScirc.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.