8" 4 ohm heavy duty woofer/midbass needed, who's Goldwood?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, Im looking for a 8" driver with the following requirements. It needs to be 4 ohms, and handle 120 watts +. I'd also need it to sound good, and be able to drive alot of air.

I'm going to be using this in a car door with a 4 way (sub, midbass, midrange and tweet), with the upper limit of the 8" around 1k Hz to avoid beamyness. The lower limit will be 80-100 hz (I will experiment).

So far, I've only come across 2, the Dynaudio MW170 and the Peerless CSX 217 C (850519) drivers that meet all these. The Dyn is significantly more expensive then the Peerless.

The Vifa MG22WO09-04 looks promising but theres no specs for it yet. The PL22WR09-04 look good too, however it looks a bit on the low inefficiency side.

I also ran into http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/show...5&St3=-41463658&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=7543&DID=7 this goldwood driver. Spec wise it looks good, but who the H is goldwood?

Are there any other drivers out there worth considering? Power handling is probably my #1 concern. Thanks.

Wow how did I guess you were gonna respond first? Hehe. Heres my thoughts though, at 100-1000 hz or so, wouldnt this be the region where the sound quality wouldnt be as important, as say the upper midrange and treble where the "detail" is?

But for $24 a driver I might just take a gamble. Parts express does have a generous return policy.

Actually, music in that range is very critical.

Attachments

• musicrangeb.jpg
    musicrangeb.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 404

Well how cheap is pretty cheap.Because u can get 4 ohm versions of the Eminence Beta 8[225w rms] and Alpha 8 [150w rms] and Alpha 8MR [125 w rms, sealed back mid].
Or my fav 4 ohm 8 inches at moment are Morel, several available on e-bay cheap to buy now/or bid.
Eminence alpha 8 -£30 inc vat
alpha 8MR £27 inc vat
beta 8 £40 inc vat

www.allangordon.co.uk

power handling is realatively pointless in this application

he stated they will be running IB and crossed as low as 80hz...xmax will be exceeded WAYYYYYYYY before the thermal limits of the driver will

partsexpress stats the beta 8" as 3mm xmax

I still think the alpha 10 is the best IB suitable driver in eminence's lineup - .59 QTS, 3.2mm xmax, 50hz fs, 3.9" mounting depth, good sensitivity and a very suitable top end

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.