Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Jeff Bagby's Tributes Build
Jeff Bagby's Tributes Build
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th March 2016, 09:59 PM   #1
MrSllez is offline MrSllez  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Default Jeff Bagby's Tributes Build

Heya.

This is my recent project, a pair of Jeff Bagby's "The Tributes" speakers. For anyone wondering, they sound bloody amazing and imaging is just perfect. The final cost was just slightly under 300 euros and I have built them at my uncle's workshop during last school holidays.

I am bad at attaching files so there is just imgur album link. Jegg Bagby's Tributes Build - Album on Imgur
Old 30th March 2016, 04:17 PM   #2
aeelements is offline aeelements  United States
diyAudio Member

I've just built these as well. Still breaking them in... Nice work on the crossovers and cabinet! Any reason you are using two resistors per speaker?
Old 30th March 2016, 04:44 PM   #3
sebbyp is offline sebbyp  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeelements View Post
I've just built these as well. Still breaking them in... Nice work on the crossovers and cabinet! Any reason you are using two resistors per speaker?
Im guessing to try different tweeter attenuation without a full rebuild.
Old 8th April 2016, 05:18 PM   #4
aeelements is offline aeelements  United States
diyAudio Member

Hmm. Perhaps. I wonder how much you can attenuate the tweeter without throwing off the rest of the crossover, since it's all in series...
Old 27th May 2016, 07:22 AM   #5
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks for posting this MrSllez as I was intrigued by JB's different design of a series xo. I've been designing and building speakers with series xo's for almost a decade and a half with some being classic first order series but most being AR series but had to try out this JB xo.

This is the second time I've built someone else's design, the first being JB Soprano when I needed a quick and easy speaker for my study to replace the D27/P13 speaker I designed for the diyAudio ref speaker thread. I had all the parts except for the tweeter, so the Soprano was an easy choice as I do not DIY any more and only had to do a cut and shut on the P13 box.

I gave away my 810921/18W8531/M22WR main speaker as my needs have changed and have been using a small 4" MTM for music and HT driven though a stereo amp. The Tributes allowed me to use the MTM with the HT amp and the Tributes on the stereo amp. All the drivers are less than what I paid for one 18W8531 a decade ago which makes it a bargain and great bang for buck.

All I can say the Tributes are a very good indeed. Very nice tonal quality/balance, enough detail, non fatiguing and able to carry enough body of the music with adequate bass. I designed my own floorstanding box and used standard vented Vb=18 litres, Fb=43Hz. The volume is reduced by an angled panel in the lower part of the box.

I've modelled the Tribute xo in SCD to see how it operates and there is some flexibility in the resistor size but the 3R as per design works well on most music. Maybe in far future I'll try a AR series xo as this would drop the load on the tweeter by around 10dB at Fs and provide an amp friendly flat impedance but would not sound the same as JB's xo nor would have the attributes he was after in the design.

Congratulations to JB for this well thought out design and keeping series xo's alive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RZ6JB.jpg (92.2 KB, 1616 views)
Old 27th May 2016, 09:53 AM   #6
MrSllez is offline MrSllez  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeelements View Post
The resistor Jeff used was 3 ohm but I couldn't find the same value from where I ordered the parts, so I decided to use 2 1.5ohm resistors in series to get 3ohm.

Last edited by MrSllez; 27th May 2016 at 09:55 AM.
Old 28th May 2016, 03:39 AM   #7
eriksquires is offline eriksquires  United States
diyAudio Member

Love the Mundorf MKP caps!! If you find them a little too dark, let's chat.

But seriously, they are my goto-cap when I don't want to think about it. In some cases may be a wee bit dark, but fabulous low level detail. Some of the best Mundorf makes IMHO.

Best.

Erik
Old 20th September 2016, 02:02 PM   #8
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

In post #5 I said I my try an AR series xo with these drivers and I've done just that. I'm not saying it's better than Jeff's excellent xo but is different in sonics and is more suitable for my use as well as I am working with different box volume and bass tuning. I won't go into any personal subjective impressions of the alternative AR series xo.

It drops the tweeter to 18dB down at the tweeter Fs, BSC is increased and the impedance plot is smoother and ranges from 9R to 5R45 from 100Hz which is better for my LM3886 based Arcam A19. Phase over the crossover is very good as can be seen in the reverse null FR.

I'm posting this for reference only for any future builders using these drivers and not to disrespect Jeff's excellent design. In fact the xo was designed using Jeff's SCD.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AR_xo_eg_a_FR.jpg (48.7 KB, 1391 views)
File Type: jpg AR_xo_eg_a_FR_revnull.jpg (50.0 KB, 1355 views)
File Type: jpg AR_xo_eg_a_IR.jpg (47.8 KB, 1345 views)
File Type: jpg AR_xo_rz6jb.jpg (43.8 KB, 1356 views)
File Type: jpg AR_xo_eg_a_layout.jpg (117.2 KB, 506 views)
Old 20th September 2016, 03:36 PM   #9
Zvu is offline Zvu  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Nicely done RabbitZ.
Old 27th December 2016, 06:38 PM   #10
Nanuk is offline Nanuk  France
diyAudio Member

Default Me too.

Just finished a Tributes build as well. FWIW, 22.5 liters tuned to 34 sounds fantastic and the bass reaches well into the lower 40's.

Jeff Bagby's Tributes BuildHide this!Advertise here!