Epoxy + sand for speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
try "Quikcrete" -- I did this by making the speaker carcase about 1" larger on each side than necessary -- then I popped some nails in the particleboard to hold the cememt. I used "Quikcrete on each of the 2 sides and rear -- one side at a time, allowing about a day to dry.

they were the heaviest damned speakers I ever built -- but built like Fort Knox. I had to demolish them with a sledge-hammer when we moved from Long Island to NJ.

What about just using something like this

Dynamat EXTREME: Dynamat Xtreme is a butyl composite with aluminum constraining layer, sheet metal vibrational damper. Dynamat Xtreme is made to conform and fuse to sheet metal and other hard substrates: automotive body surfaces such as floor pans and doors. Product can be die cut to shape and placed onto the body surface after sheet metal cleaning operation and prior to paint system (typically a t the sealer application operation) or on painted panels. Material can withstand temperature ranges between -54°C to +149°C (-65°F to +300°F) and is highly resistant to aging.

I don't really see too many people using this inside of speakers---don't really know why

But this is being used inside of a pair of jordan floor standing speakers.

Of course there are the deflex panels also.

Im just toying around with different ideas right now---thx

You did not say what the purpose of adding sand to the inside of the cabinet was. Is it for damping or weight or some other purpose.

If I wanted to add a coating of sand (thin layer), I would mix the sand in with a good quality slow dry oil primer and seal the inside of my MDF (protecting against moisture penetration and other products) at the same time.

I would also use the type of sand used as an admix for treads and alos used to add faux textures to walls. It is available at any paint store.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.