Can audiophile speakers also rock?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My listening is about 50% pop/ rock, 50% other including acoustic music.
I had Apogee Centaurus Minors, some things eg sounstage & upper range were superb, but they didn't play most rock well, primarily why I sold them.

I’m now considering Linkwitz Phoenix/ Orion.

Do you know any audiophile diy speakers that also rock?

The advice I offer to all who ask:

Build 3 way speakers; one 12" woofer, one 6.5" midrange, one tweeter. The crossover between mid and tweeter should be passive. Crossover between woofer and mid to be active(bi-amplify).

There is a whole load of 6.5" high definition two way designs to pick from. Use the mid in a "sealed" enclosure to get F3 up into the 80-100Hz range and the woofer can take care of everything below that.

I'm with Bill on this one, here's the :smash: fun/proof.
Mark.

Attachments

• 3wayspeaker.jpg
    3wayspeaker.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 587
Bill Fitzpatrick said:
The advice I offer to all who ask:

Build 3 way speakers; one 12" woofer, one 6.5" midrange, one tweeter. The crossover between mid and tweeter should be passive. Crossover between woofer and mid to be active(bi-amplify).

There is a whole load of 6.5" high definition two way designs to pick from. Use the mid in a "sealed" enclosure to get F3 up into the 80-100Hz range and the woofer can take care of everything below that.

Oh my gawd.....i so done that ..and a bit more (2 x 12 and 2 x 6)...see pic. 12" fire rear....buzz if you need to know more.

in fact i would consider the foll. mods to the pic above.
2 x 6" push push with the second one usd for BSC
2 x 12" Isobarik below 80Hz to reduce box size and improve WAF.

Attachments

• both channels.jpg
    both channels.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 512
Navin, those look frighteningly like my last set of speakers- except I used 300 liter subs. They rocked.

One thing that really can step up the boogie factor is using a floor boundary through the mid-bass to lower midrange. I use the Allison model, which involves having a woofer at floor level crossed over at about 300 Hz to the midrange, which is roughly a meter off the floor.

ESLs don't rock.

Many of these ideas use horns. I’m sure they could really rock, but clarity and especially ease of build I’m not so sure of.

Mmmm: ribbon (eg aurum cantus) tweeters, horn mids, and high powered EQ’d dipole bass (say 4 * XLS a side) – that should be pretty good . .

SY said:
Navin, those look frighteningly like my last set of speakers- except I used 300 liter subs. They rocked.

One thing that really can step up the boogie factor is using a floor boundary through the mid-bass to lower midrange. I use the Allison model, which involves having a woofer at floor level crossed over at about 300 Hz to the midrange, which is roughly a meter off the floor.

ESLs don't rock.

ESLs can rock only they'd get so large thatthe wifey would disapprove. I dont know if yo ever listened to the Soundlabs A1 with the extra bass panels. the total width of each speaker was about 4 feet.

love to see you "last set of speakers". got a pic?

BTW here is my present set. 8", 6", 1". 8" near floor. top cavity is for the XO so I can trim XO while standing.

Attachments

• front of speaker.jpg
    front of speaker.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 244
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.