Speaker cables - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th March 2016, 08:20 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Speaker cables

I've been using 18awg upocc solid silver in PTFE tubing for about 4 years and the speakers sound real good. While cleaning the attic I found a 4 foot pair of XLO Ultra 6, with original spades, I bought about 10 years ago. That is the length I need.

I know I can try it but the silver wire has already had bits of the ends break off from connecting and disconnecting, probably 5 or 6 times, so I'd rather not lose anymore length.

I'd appreciate any thoughts about the XLO vs upocc 18awg silver.

Thanks,
henrylr
Old 5th March 2016, 08:26 PM   #2
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

You have a problem making your own comparisons ?
What difference would other opinions make at all ?

rgds, sreten.
Old 5th March 2016, 08:35 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

As I said I could do a comparison but the silver wire has brittle end that are breaking off. I also thought perhaps there were some strong feelings about the different wires. Always like to read opinions.
Old 5th March 2016, 09:04 PM   #4
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrylrjr View Post
I also thought perhaps there were some strong feelings about the different wires.
There are. Some are extreme. Don't worry about it. If the wires make a significant difference you should hire someone to analyze your system and see what's actually wrong.
Old 5th March 2016, 09:10 PM   #5
iScream is offline iScream  United States
diyAudio Member

How much would that silver sell for melted down? Seriously.

I won't get into a speaker wire debate beyond saying I would melt it down and sell it if I could get enough to make it worth the trouble.

-Chris
Old 5th March 2016, 09:28 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

One doesn't need to melt silver or gold. The buyer tests it for purity, weighs it and gives a price. Given the price of silver the value would probably be less than $10.
Old 5th March 2016, 10:19 PM   #7
iScream is offline iScream  United States
diyAudio Member

Probably not worth selling it then. But that $10 would buy you an equal length of copper wire thick enough to have significantly less resistance per foot than your 18 gauge silver. And, that's really the only thing that matters when carrying an electrical signal from your amp to your speakers. With a 4 foot run of wire it just isn't going to change the end to end resistance much at all though. And certainly isn't going to be audible in any way.

But I said I wouldn't get into the speaker cable debate so I'll stop there.

-Chris
Old 5th March 2016, 10:28 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks so much Chris. I think the XLO ultra at 4 feet should do the trick and when I disconnect it to try other components it won't break like the silver wire. Just crimping connectors onto the silver wire fractures it.
Old 5th March 2016, 10:38 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScream View Post
How much would that silver sell for melted down? Seriously.

I won't get into a speaker wire debate beyond saying I would melt it down and sell it if I could get enough to make it worth the trouble.

-Chris
Silver is $15.29/oz at Mar 03, 2016 at 21:22 EST according to jmbullion.com.
18AWG will have a 1.02mm diameter cross section. If you have 4ft, the volume is 957 cubic millimeters. This is 10.04g or .354oz. or $5.41 worth of silver. Double this for the two conductors and you have $10.82, enough for a pizza. Assuming someone will give you bullion price on it.

Considering that an oscilloscope and function generator with infinitely better sensitivity, precision, and bandwidth than the human ear will detect no difference in the two conductors' ability to transmit audio signals, I say sell the XLO for a lot more than the silver to some arrogant audiophile who claims his ears can outperform the best scientific instruments.
Old 5th March 2016, 10:44 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks so much. That is the, common sense, thinking that makes sense to me.

Hide this!Advertise here!