Hi-Eff 3-way speakers choice help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have to simulate some cabinets - I mean shape of them and show my girlfriend.
These speaker photos might help you balance: form-vs-function-vs-style-vs-girlfriend.
1) Mark Levinson commercial Daniel Hertz $100,000
2) Slanted flat sides + beveled baffle edges (basic shape from Nelson Pass - my favorite)
3) "Elegant" ported box with "jewel" Tractrix horn on top
4) Super Craftman woodworker with curved sides
5) Single cabinet with Onken vented woofer plus sealed volume midbass
6) Jean Hiraga 604 design: Bottom Onken vents used with MLTL alignment
---If you still "favor" Onken Cabinets.
In 1977 Jean Higara published a paper on Onken Cabinet construction which pulled together ideas started in 1965. For his recent Altec 604 coaxial, Jean Higara combined the low pass filter functionality provided by Onken tuned vents with bottom-ported Mass Loaded Transmission Line (MLTL) efficient bass extension plus cabinet resonance reduction.

Attachments

• Girlfriend test1.jpg
    Girlfriend test1.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 380
  • Girlfriend test2.jpg
    Girlfriend test2.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 386
  • Girlfriend test3.jpg
    Girlfriend test3.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 378
  • Girlfriend test4.jpg
    Girlfriend test4.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 371
  • Girlfriend test5.jpg
    Girlfriend test5.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 160
  • OnkenBottomSlot_MLTL.jpg
    OnkenBottomSlot_MLTL.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 185
Thanks again :)
Great inspirations - I'm still trying to lern CAD to draw the cabinet - but it's hard lerning :)
A9CAD is simple but seams too limited, LibreCAD to difficult... I'll try FreeCAD and SketchUP...
I didn't exclude Onken and Jean Higara looking promising - narrow tuned smaller cabinet.
I will study if I can calculate this type of Onken for 18FH500...
So far I found that front baffle angle about 9 degree give me perfect time agliment - that will make crossover as simple as can be what is great for single amplifier.
timealign_swwewes.jpg

Some more inspirations:
Stradivari:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

KEF 109 (nice but not big cabinet for 18" woofer)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Davoneaudio:

And my first attempt with sketchUP :)

Total width 780mm, deepth should be about 400mm (maybe 450mm) - this should gave internal volume about 264dm3-30dm3 (speakers, midbass closed and horn pipe) 234dm3 (8,5 cuft) - some of this space takes bracing.
Angle of front will be decided after some meansuring speakers (it takes a few weeks of waiting before I'll buy all speakers)
I don't know if bass-reflex slots will be deep enough...
Compare to my ugly Klipsch boxes :)

Last edited:
Great form-vs-function-vs-style design.

The large side and rear curves help soften the real physical size. The enclosed tweeter horn should provide a smoother SPL and polar crossover to the early beaming 12". Good decisions coming together.

I'm not sure that tilting your speaker is necessary. A 1100Hz wavelength is 13" long. Not much shorter than the C-to-C between Faital 12FH520-to-Tractrix horn. So...maybe put the horn at ear level with a few degrees of flexibe tilt. The 12" Faital midbass will perform as a single location 180-degree polar source from 1100Hz down to ~150Hz when the baffle step adds the normal room bass effects. A smooth, controlled directivity function. The 12" to 18" crossover will be around ~150Hz, which is a 80" wavelength, so the phasing should be very close even with the 1.5" physical offset difference between 18" and 12".
Still think:
It is critical to time-align the tweeter horn to the 12" midbass.
It is "extra credit" to time-align the 18" woofer to the 12" midbass.(~1.5")
Tilting the entire speaker is not necessary.

=========================
voluptuous [vuh-luhp-choo-uh s]

adjective
1. indulgence in luxury, pleasure, and sensuous enjoyment:
a voluptuous life.

2. gratification of the senses:
voluptuous pleasure.

3. sensuous enjoyment or sensual pleasure:
voluptuous desires.

4. sensuously pleasing or delightful:
--sexually attractive because of a full, shapely figure:
voluptuous beauty.

What do you think about cutting a cardboard "footprint" for your voluptuous cabinet design and putting L-R positioned footprints in your listening room? Your family would have a chance to adjust to seating and foot traffic. It could also help any room-response simulations and room-mode analysis. The round tweeter horn polar pattern should match most generic simulators.

Room Response Calculator v0.6d by Yavuz Aksan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.