Magnepan 3.5R

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm Looking for a pair of the 3.5R external crossovers. I own an excellent pair of speakers with crossovers in good working order and wish to have a second pair of XO for learning purposes in preparation to rebuild an external XO with reference parts. Therefore it is not required that they are in working order as long as they are complete with original parts. I am new to DIY and do not wish to ruin the crossovers i already own.

If anyone has suggestions for parts to use that are compatible with silver.. I would be most appreciative.

I also understand there are internal crossovers and wiring that can be upgraded. Suggestions welcome, but one step at a time.

I would also consider having a pair of custom reference quality XO made.

I am in Fort Lauderdale FL

I'm not intending to be negative but for a relatively old maggie
I'm sure there is already a wealth of modification information
for the 3.5R's posted on the web, you just have to find it.

When investigating the 1.6QR, sadly not available here,
I easily found details of structural modifications and
crossover quality upgrades.

You should be able to gain enough information to build a
reference quality external croosover without ever owning
the standard external crossover.

Or go active ...... the final solution......

:) sreten.

You are right. There is a wealth of information about the 1.6QR avail. Not so much about the 3.5R. This was my very first post. I daresay there may not be another. Its a turn off to folks like me who are relatively new to this and learning, to get a response like that to a very first post. Is this representative of the site?

Bill, I think you have taken offense where none was intended. sreten was trying to be helpful.

To answer your original question, the schematic for the 3.5 crossover is available.

3.5 XO

Pictures of mods are also available.

3.5 XO mods

These and much more are available at the Maggie Users Group.

MUG

If you really want to buy a complete crossover, the message board linked there would be the place to ask. Personally, I would start from scratch with the schematic.

Maggie xo for 3.5

Welcome to the forum!

Sreten had a good suggestion you might want to consider as a step toward your goal of improving your 3.5's. You might want want to pick up an active crossover, and experiment with various crossover points and other parameters. Once you determine where they sound the best, you can focus your project on building the crossover around that knowledge.

I've owned that model, and other in the Magnepan line, and really enjoyed all of them. The best results I got from mine were with a DIY sub and active xo.

Good luck!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.