diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Multi-Way (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/)
-   -   KLIPSCH RF-3 35 25 and ZEN's? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/28735-klipsch-rf-3-35-25-zens.html)

dshortt9 22nd February 2004 05:55 PM

KLIPSCH RF-3 35 25 and ZEN's?

Does anyone have opinions of these high efficiency speakers. They seem as if they might be good with ZEN amps.
The prices are low enough that they might be good tweaking fodder for upgraded crossovers, dampening, bracing, etc.
97-98 db eff. $600 - $750/pair.

Eric Sprik 23rd February 2004 06:54 PM

Don't know Zen but tweaking is likely to be done - ask Coolin.

So a pair of Klipsch is that cheap in the USA? (or where...)

Groet,
Eric.

dshortt9 24th February 2004 04:52 AM

Yep. USA. I have auditioned the RF-35's and for exactly 724 at ecoustics one can have 2 8" anodized aluminum drivers per box and a 6" square horn loaded tweeter in a reasonably attractive box with bi-wire capability, real bass at rock levels, clean dynamic mids, and recessed but clean higs. with some tweaks I think they could be 98 db efficient killers. I'm sure Klipsch had to cut corners in the crossover, bracing, dampening, and perhaps some other intentional (ahem) quality measures so not to detract from the higher priced speakers. Show me another high efficiency speaker - DIY or not with this sound. The RF-7's sounded very good at 800 bucks but with probably more care in the design and implementation of them, and had 102 db efficiency. 2A3's would drive them.

Coolin 24th February 2004 06:13 PM

Dshortt9,

Sorry it took so long, i didnt see you your question at the bottom of my mail only a link to the general forum

I have extended the horns because i believe there is a mistake in the cross
over frequency at 1950 hz because the horn is a little too small . They have
moved this up to 2200 in the RF-3 II. I have not heard this one or the rf-35
Furthermore i have replaced the wiring and "matrass" foam on the inside and done bracing and some damping of the sides ans used deflex panels on the inside instead
This Smoothed out the sound quite a bit and you gain detail.

Regards,

Coolin

rongon 25th July 2011 03:16 PM

Sorry to dredge up such an old thread, but I just purchased a used pair of Klipsch RF-3 speakers and would like to try taming their 'edgy' sound. They seem to have a lot of potential...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coolin (Post 333496)
Dshortt9,

I have extended the horns because i believe there is a mistake in the cross
over frequency at 1950 hz because the horn is a little too small . They have
moved this up to 2200 in the RF-3 II. I have not heard this one or the rf-35

Can you give me a little more detail on what you did with those speakers? Did you keep them, or are they long gone?

- How did you alter the crossover?
- You don't have the schematic, do you?

I was thinking of replacing any low quality capacitors with better ones (probably Axon polypro from Zalytron in NY).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coolin (Post 333496)
Furthermore ...i have replaced the wiring and "matrass" foam on the inside and done bracing and some damping of the sides ans used deflex panels on the inside instead
This Smoothed out the sound quite a bit and you gain detail.

Regards,

Coolin

- How did you brace and damp the sides?
- Where did you put the deflex panels on the inside?

Thanks!

dshortt9 26th July 2011 04:39 PM

I believe if you go to the Kilpsch Resource Center and request them they will send you the schematics. In the past they were posted on the web somewhere.

rongon 27th July 2011 06:02 PM

I got the schematic. For the record, here it is:
Klipsch RF-3 crossover schematic

I've got a pair of RF-3 (not II version, not RF-3.5), and found that they are extremely detailed, but a bit harsh in the upper mids. They're really exciting sounding, but get fatiguing after a while. It was a relief to go back to my much mellower sounding Tannoy T185's.

BUT... I think the Klipsch RF-3's sound like they have some potential. If I could just tame that harsh upper mid thing (or possibly find a frequency response spike that I think is up around 9kHz or so), they could be great high-efficiency speakers for not much money.

Does anyone know what quality of capacitors were used in Klipsch "Reference" series speakers back around the year 2000? I was thinking of replacing the 4.5uF and 12uF caps with film-in-oil or maybe even old paper-in-oil capacitors. Something "darker" sounding than the usual metallized mylar or polypropylene. Or can someone recommend a "dark" sounding capacitor that might tone these beasts down a little?

Has anybody played around with reducing the level of the horn tweeter? Perhaps raising the 2-ohm series resistor on the tweeter to 2.7 ohms?

I'm thinking of removing the crossover from the inside and putting it outside the cabinet so I can experiment on it easily. Problems with that?

I'm using a push-pull 2A3 amp to drive these. The amp doesn't sound particularly zingy, so I really don't think the problem is the amp. But I could be wrong. I have a Sansui AU-719 I can test the speakers with. Maybe I can do that this evening...

-=|=-

Anchan 28th July 2011 12:52 AM

RF3 mods

Rongon,
I'd be really interested in whatever mods you do to the rf3's. I have a set of rf3 ii's. I really have enjoyed them for the past 10 years, but they are definitely on the sharp side for sure, and that fact has become more evident to me over the years.

Anyway, I've thought about doing some minor changes to a major overhaul, but lack the knowledge to pioneer the effort.

I'll play the observer for the moment.

moray james 28th July 2011 05:19 AM

you might want to slap some rope caulk on the walls of the horn and see what results you get. Might make a nice improvement. Best regards Moray James.

rongon 28th July 2011 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moray james (Post 2652842)
you might want to slap some rope caulk on the walls of the horn and see what results you get. Might make a nice improvement. Best regards Moray James.

Any idea if "rope caulk" = Mortite? I've found that Mortite dries out after years, so I was thinking of using Duct Seal instead.

Anchan -- Interesting that you hear what I hear in the RF-3. There's lots of potential in that speaker, but there's something aggravating about the sound, sort of "metallic" in the highs. I love the low end, though, and I love the incredibly detailed soundstage. Just hate the excess "zing." Hopefully I can mellow it out a little, and it would be a really nice speaker then.

-=|=-