Phil Short's Tannoy 3828 crossover mod?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
erm! The actual measured values from many Tannoy units, the inductance is much higher than 1.2mH !! :)

:D It's about 3 mh IIRC... been a decade or more since I tested them.
Been 'fooling' with the tannoy Xovers since mid 70's Even A/B tested 1.2 mh vs 3 mh OEM LF coils xover setups and frankly the differences were V Subtle.. As in even those with V good hearing (children) had a serious issues with identifying differences in my experiments.
As in ALL audio weenie land topics ; Far more claims than reality ;).

The first big speaker I assembled was a 15" Tannoy Disco system in about 1975. I say "assembled" because you really just stuck it in a 3 cubic foot box and made a hole somewhere! It worked. :D

Girdacaoustic and rubber roll. Came with a crossover with a bit of level adjust.

You don't really filter big basses like this one. Its natural cone rolloff is the main event. All you do with a filter is change the tilt.

It was pretty normal with big well-behaved basses to have a big coil and cap and maybe a notch for the breakup. Troels Gravesen did this in his TQWT which is not really a million miles away. Thing is, when you do this sort of thing, you find smaller bass coils have better controlled midrange qualities, but less deep bass. Just how it works. Comes down to what you like.

Attachments

• Troels Gravesen TQWT.PNG
    Troels Gravesen TQWT.PNG
    10.9 KB · Views: 180
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.