Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

3-Way Build Project - Woofer help
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th March 2017, 06:32 PM   #241
jReave is offline jReave  Canada
diyAudio Member

OK that's better. The design is for just the mid to be reversed in polarity. Try that out for a while and see how you like it.

The speakers are rather low in sensitivity but that's what you get when you're only running 1 smaller woofer in a 3-way and going for full baffle step compensation, so yes, you can expect to be pushing your amp a little harder if your other speaker was higher in sensitivity. But you should be getting more bass I hope, and better quality too, but if you are finding there is too much, then you can decrease the series resistors on the mid and the tweeter and that will simultaneously decrease the perception of bass and improve the sensitivity a little bit. You might try a decrease of up to around 3ohm for each driver and see how that goes.

It's possible there is another little thing happening whereby a speaker with more distortion will sound louder than it is (ie, your old ones), or in other words, with a cleaner speaker you may be playing it louder than before but you don't really realize it because there isn't so much distortion.

As I say, try them for a little while and get to know them better. Then you can measure again and compare that to your subjective reactions. Maybe toy with the resistors as you see fit. One thing I didn't mention previously is that if you aren't playing these too loud, then you might prefer a bit of a smiley face curve, so with the mids just a little lower than the bass and highs. Then if need be you can look at what spare parts you have on hand and we can try to tweek a couple of little things if you want.

Happy listening. Hope you don't have any other important things to do right now.
Old 14th March 2017, 06:54 PM   #242
spark010 is offline spark010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I've just simmed removing 3ohm from the tweeter and 5ohm from the Mid and it looks pretty good

I'll have to order in a couple of resistors for the mid but the tweeter-tweak is very easy to achieve.

Very interesting comment on distortion and volume! I'll keep that in mind

Thank you again I'll hopefully have them up and running by Thursday and yeah i should be doing other things... but..
Old 14th March 2017, 07:05 PM   #243
diyAudio Member

Sounds good.

Maybe try both of them without the tweeks first. Something else to note is that your old speakers might not have had the best balanced FR but that is what you are used to. So anything new is going to sound different, maybe weird at 1st in comparison and that's why I say try them out for a while, get used to them and then start to change things to discover your preferences.

One other thing to note is that I think with your placement, 1 speaker is close to a wall and the other is more out in free space so this will affect the bass differently and so it's the balance of the 2 of them that you need to get right.
Old 14th March 2017, 07:40 PM   #244
diyAudio Member

Do you think that it might be a good idea to use an attenuator on the mid and tweeter to adjust and get the balance stop on? It would give me the benefit finishing the project and being able to sit back listen and tweak whilst i get used to the different FR
Old 14th March 2017, 08:02 PM   #245
diyAudio Member

Just before I forget.. The woofer enclosure doesn't have any wadding / stuffing. I assumed that was ok?
Old 14th March 2017, 08:02 PM   #246
diyAudio Member

Well I would just add or subtract resistors but then again, I wouldn't hard solder them to start off with because I know I'm going to want to play with them a bit. I've got a little collection of alligator clips that I use for temporary connections but even twisting leads together can work if you are gentle with them. But be careful with that because too much and some of the leads may fall right out of the component.
Old 15th March 2017, 08:06 AM   #247
USRFobiwan is offline USRFobiwan
Horn Addict
diyAudio Member

why not temporary use a rheostat in between. this way you can actively doe measurement and measure the potential after you are happy with the result and replace the rheo with a resistor.
Old 15th March 2017, 03:57 PM   #248
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark010 View Post
Just before I forget.. The woofer enclosure doesn't have any wadding / stuffing. I assumed that was ok?
Usually the walls are lined with foam or heavy felt or some kind of absorptive insulation. Any more stuffing inside the cabinet is likely to start reducing the output from the port, which in some cases is not necessarily a bad thing.
Old 16th March 2017, 06:54 AM   #249
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USRFobiwan View Post
why not temporary use a rheostat in between. this way you can actively doe measurement and measure the potential after you are happy with the result and replace the rheo with a resistor.
I do like the idea of using some form of variable resistor to help tweak things. However after looking into it, the costs are quite prohibitive. e.g. audio grade fixed resistors are 1-2 where l-pad's or rheostat's are circa 50.
Old 19th March 2017, 08:47 AM   #250
diyAudio Member

I'm revised the XO a little and here the new FR.. The sounds balance seems much better but perhaps a little too much treble.

One thing that seem off is. The mid range is pretty muted and when I play much that is dynamic and fast paced, the mid is muffled / laggy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture 001.JPG (142.7 KB, 64 views)

3-Way Build Project - Woofer helpHide this!Advertise here!