can I solder on this?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Maybe a bit a dumb questions, but I wonder how I best connect my internal speakerwire to my Lambda SB12's (gold plated) binding posts?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The binding posts have these springed mechanism. I don't think soldering will work (to big). I can just stick bare wire into it, but how do I prevent oxidation of the wire? Spades won't fit, maybe bananas. But what will give the best (and most lasting) connections for these things?

For internal wire I use the same as for the speaker wire ( Canare 4S8 about 10 awg )

It shouldn't matter too much as far as needing the extra conductivity of soldering. Unless you're running either really long cables, ultra high power, or a combination, chances are you won't be using the full capacity of 10GA cables. Therefore, I'd have to say that it won't improve conductivity by soldering the terminals.
Unless you just want that piece of mind of knowing the wires cannot come out of the terminals or just to prevent any doubts of not having a good connection, which I almost always have myself.:D

JOE DIRT® said:
you can get spade connectors to fit....but an alternative is to tin your wire and wrap it around the binding post.........if your worried about oxidation grease the connection....vaseline works

:D
KevinLee said:
Tin your speaker cable with solder, insert into spring loaded terminal. Those terminals are very reliable.

KevinLee

The springs are strong enough, I don't worry about the wires getting lose.

So tinning the copper prevents the corrosion?

Bullet crimp terminals

http://www.takbro.com/catalogue.php?page=crimp_terminals.php?cat=Proterm

VBM5-5 suits AWG10-12

In most cases I would not recommend that you tin the ends of the cable because this creates a solid - to - flexible junction in the conductors and subsequent movement will fracture the conductors at that point. In your case there is not likely to be any movement so soldering is an option. It is cheaper too....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.