Please recommend hi-fi speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am a newbie, so hi to all,

Let me drop a bombshell for debate and see what emerges after the dust settles.

I am looking for a DIY speaker that works especially well for home stereo use. I am looking for a two or three-way speaker for under $500 (the pair) that delivers audiophile quality sound for music listening. Bass must go low, be well defined and provide a smooth and detailed transition from bass to mid and from mid to hi. I am looking especially at ported tower designs. I mostly listen to jazz and classical but do delve into an occassional romp with vintage Led Zep' or Queen.

I will be using a good quality Sansui or Carver stereo receiver rated at 60 to 120 watts per channel.

What recommendations do you all have? As usual, any and all opinions are welcome.

Randy

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
His Solo 103 is one i'll probably inspire one of my designs...

Back to the case at hand... doing a well executed mini-monitor with a pr of separate subs have huge advantages.... lots of mini-monitor examples at the above link and there is a Focal-based LS3/5A clone out on the net that looks interesting... not to mention the Vifa P13/tweeter combo, or any decent small FR with a helper tweeter (the last being the approach i'd take)

Those 2 receivers will limit the audiophile capabilities of any system -- unless the Sansui is a heavily tweaked ols tube unit.

dave

BrianGT said:
I like the look of his Auriga speakers:
http://home.hetnet.nl/~geenius/Auriga.html

Interesting use dual 7" drivers, one in a sealed part of the cabinet, and the other ported. I have never seen this done before with identical drivers.

--
Brian

Was introduced in this classic design using paired drivers,
the Mission 753.
The top two drivers are internally boxed off with vertical and
horizontal sections and only the bottom two are reflexed.

The 753 is also a high sensitivity 0.5 way, using the lower
bass units for Baffle Step correction of the higher units.

:) sreten.

Attachments

• 753freedom.jpg
    753freedom.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 275
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.