How could I shrink some 2''PVC pipe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Also, you can buy PVC flares from the hardware stores that PVC is found...will be in the same aisle as the piping and elbows and whatnot.
I know the flares have slots and other holes for mounting, but just use the fiberglass to patch the small holes and then use PVC cement to bond the flare to the port piping itself.
I'd say that is your best bet. It might not have the flare rate/ flare size you're looking for, but it would do for reducing port noise.

PVC Flares?

Go to a hardware store and get a torch (propane) and heat it up. Keep the flame aways away from it or you will burn it. keepdoing it untill it gets soft then you can doo whatever you want to it. Use leather gloves because it get really hot use cold water to cool it down then wala!!
Good luck
Oh btw I have done it many times.
Shane

Electric heat gun with adjustable temperature and a glass bottle of the right diameter and shape. Heat the PVC pipe end (not too soft or you'll get buckling) and push onto the bottle... instant flare. Or you could use the cutouts for drivers and make a mandrel.

Takes a bit of practice.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Will fiberglass resin, (ie. Bondo car filler) stick to PVC?

I would be surprised it it didn't.

PVC is a very stickable substance. One of the good things about PVC, (a form of vinyl) is the fact that unlike a lot of plastic things, a LOT of glues will stick to PVC and vinyl. Epoxy glue sticks to it very well.

A can of Bondo might be what you want to make your flares.

I also like the idea of making larger circles of PVC around the end then shaving/cutting them down to make a smooth flare. Again, a small can of Bondo or any car filler can help to fill in the holes.

PS: Just as an aside, if you make a project that requires clear plastic film, use Saran wrap. Saran is made of a vinyl compound and epoxy and many other glues will stick to it easily and permanently. The stuff they call "clear plastic wrap" is made of a different plastic and almost no glues stick to it. Even though they look alike, there is a world of difference between Saran and clear plastic food wrap, gluing wise.

Yeah but I have no router and I'm not sure the roundover would be open enough...

I think I'm gonna make a jig for the mouth and then figure out how to attach the fiberglass to the pvc. I'll need to find a glue that works on pvc anyway if I want to fix the pipe to the elbow.

PVC glue

Avalible at most hardware stores. You can get many different types. Make sure that you have PVC others would include ABS,CPVC different glue for all. ABS pipe does not heat up very well and have good results. CPVC is for very hot water and is very thick. PVC comes in thin-wall schedule 40 and 80 the differance being the bigger the number the thicker the wall of the pipe. For a speaker you could use sillicone to put the elbow and the fiberglass piece together. It does not require a water-pressure seal just airflow from the speaker.

Hope this helps.
Shane

A while ago i figured out that bondo does not stick to pvc. I tried 4 or 5 times to construct Steve Deckerts "personal planars" to no avail, every time, with every brand of PVC, the bondo would easily come out of the pvc. I think i must have gone through two large containers of bondo (~20-25 each) before i gave up.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.