Danley still calls this a "Synergy"? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th February 2016, 08:17 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Danley still calls this a "Synergy"?

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/produ...0/#slide2lease explain. Looks to me like a co-ax on a conical horn with the reflex ports in front. Does the horn change the typical ragged radiation pattern of a co-ax ??

Last edited by peteleoni; 5th February 2016 at 08:38 PM.
Old 5th February 2016, 09:40 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I think it does. the waveguide fits between the woofer cone of the coax and the tweeter/CD providing a cleaner transition to the waveguide and a better waveguide than usual for a coax. those aren't reflex ports in front, those are what would be midrange ports in the old style wooden, conical horn synergy. Imagine taking one of those coax drivers with a small removable waveguide for the CD in front of the woofer cone. Remove that waveguide and replace it with the one in the photo.
Old 5th February 2016, 09:47 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I think those actually are reflex that near the mouth.
Old 5th February 2016, 11:07 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

yeah you are right. that box is 20" x 20" and you couldn't have mid ports way out in the corners. At that scale, the opening in the box/WG face must be circa 8", sufficient for the entire 8" coax driver. One can't tell from the outside what goes on behind grill cloth. But if its not something like what I described in my first post, which I got from one of the patents, I wouldn't consider it a synergy either. point source yes, synergy no.
Old 6th February 2016, 06:51 AM   #5
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

"Synergy horn" obviously is marketing term for this 110¤ dispersion coaxial 2-way. When does a conical waveguide turn to a horn? This is a short horn with smooth termination.
I don't believe that this fulfills the details in SH patent, but obviously the patent holder can bend the rules? At least it won't sue itself!
Old 6th February 2016, 07:23 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Yeah. It doesn't support the idea of the Synegy much. Now there is the Sh60 which also seems to use a coax, but the ports are probaby going through "pipes" and if that is so, then it opens up a world of nee possibilities does it not?
Old 6th February 2016, 07:27 AM   #7
FrankWW is offline FrankWW  Canada
diyAudio Member

If the mids are inserted into the horn at the correct distance from HF driver, then is not the principle of the Synergy horn preserved?
Old 6th February 2016, 07:52 AM   #8
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Danley has a coax where the cone output is fed through bandpass ducts around the tweeter and that is a proper coaxial synergy. It's not the SM100 though.
Old 6th February 2016, 08:24 AM   #9
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

Unity horn vs. Synergy horn???
Patent US6411718 - Sound reproduction employing unity summation aperture loudspeakers - Google Patents
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Juhazi; 6th February 2016 at 08:28 AM.
Old 6th February 2016, 08:29 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Danley has a coax where the cone output is fed through bandpass ducts around the tweeter and that is a proper coaxial synergy. It's not the SM100 though.
Which really means you can put the enty holes wherever they are best suited and "pipe" the mid driver in from anywhere practical? Hmmmm.

Hide this!Advertise here!