Danley still calls this a "Synergy"?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think it does. the waveguide fits between the woofer cone of the coax and the tweeter/CD providing a cleaner transition to the waveguide and a better waveguide than usual for a coax. those aren't reflex ports in front, those are what would be midrange ports in the old style wooden, conical horn synergy. Imagine taking one of those coax drivers with a small removable waveguide for the CD in front of the woofer cone. Remove that waveguide and replace it with the one in the photo.

yeah you are right. that box is 20" x 20" and you couldn't have mid ports way out in the corners. At that scale, the opening in the box/WG face must be circa 8", sufficient for the entire 8" coax driver. One can't tell from the outside what goes on behind grill cloth. But if its not something like what I described in my first post, which I got from one of the patents, I wouldn't consider it a synergy either. point source yes, synergy no.

"Synergy horn" obviously is marketing term for this 110¤ dispersion coaxial 2-way. When does a conical waveguide turn to a horn? This is a short horn with smooth termination.
I don't believe that this fulfills the details in SH patent, but obviously the patent holder can bend the rules? At least it won't sue itself!

Unity horn vs. Synergy horn???
Patent US6411718 - Sound reproduction employing unity summation aperture loudspeakers - Google Patents
US06411718-20020625-D00000.png

Last edited:
"whatever is practical" - the clou of unity horn is to locate injection ports so that sound retains linear phase. This depends on bandwidth of each driver etc.

Bill Waslo has made a calculator for diyers http://libinst.com/SynergyCalc/Synergy%20Calc%20V5.pdf
As long as the entry slots are located where they need to be digital delay should be used to correct phase. I think the slots location should be optimised first then use active delay etc.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.