Two 4 ohm woofers in series or two 16 ohm in parallel. Which is better?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi everyone,

I'm not sure about anyone else but I don't seem to have much luck when I run two 4 ohm woofers in series. It seems to change the sound. I don't mean that it's quieter, I mean that it seems to lose some of the bass altogether and gain some in the mid. I recognize the change in impedance will alter the Xover point but I just seem to lose bass. I am using a 6.2 mH choke in series and a cap across for a 2nd order.

When I parallel two 16 ohm woofers, not only do I get an increase in the volume, but the overall sound doesn't seem to change. I don't have a scope or an SPL meter to check.

I would like to keep my impedance at 8 ohms.

Do I just live with the fact I enjoy the parallel circuit more and be done with it or is there more I should know?

Thank for your help

Cal

Cal Weldon said:
I'm not sure about anyone else but I don't seem to have much luck when I run two 4 ohm woofers in series. It seems to change the sound. I don't mean that it's quieter, I mean that it seems to lose some of the bass altogether and gain some in the mid.
Cal [/B]

How many times have you wired 4-ohm woofers in series? If your claim is the result of multiple experiences, I must take it seriously...

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Car audio woofers are often 4 ohms and quite inexpensive. When I run them on a house system, I prefer 8 ohms. So I series them. My big ones are that way, so are the 4 dual 10 cabinets on top.

Here they are again,
Cal

Attachments

• my biggies.jpg
    my biggies.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 408
You're right officeboy,

I waited twenty five years to get that set up, and now I want the whole world to see.

Look at me, look at me! :smash:

But seriously, I have that problem everytime I do two in series. Just last night I did an experiment with the biggies and once again I am not as happy as I should be. I rewired and swapped woofers etc. The big ones actually sound better with only one 4 ohm woofer hooked up. :bawling:

What a guy to do? :confused:

markp said:
Try this setup: (yes this is the worst thing I have ever drawn!)

What a lovely inductor you drew there!! LOL j/k :D

Anyway, I have my dipole subs wired in parallel for a 4 ohm load and they are very detailed, however they are also wired out of phase with one driver facing forward and the other backwards.

On the other hand, my car audio system has a single 12" driver with dual 2 ohm voice coils wired in series, also for a 4 ohm load. This sub is very clean and detailed sounding as well.

I don't know. I have never done a side-by-side test to see if series or parallel sounds better. :xeye:

The woofers are wired in series, it is a 2nd order parallel Xover.

The black wire on the left hooks to the negative. The patch wire from the (+) to the (-) is only taped to the cap, no connection. The white wire from the orange cable goes goes through the coil and hooks up with the cap and the(+) terminal. The other end of the cap goes to the original (-) input. A simple 12dB parallel cut-off

Mark: I can't wire the drivers in parallel, these are 4 ohm woofers and I don't want to run 2 ohms.

I think I am going to grab a beer and try a series network on them to see if that changes anything.

Cal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.