64 Years after the Acoustic Suspension - What Has Stuck? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th January 2016, 06:24 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 64 Years after the Acoustic Suspension - What Has Stuck?

It's been almost 64 years since the invention of the Acoustic Suspension loudspeaker by Acoustic Research in 1954.

Every week some vendor, manufacturer or other innovator has come up with a new theory of what to pay attention to, or how to move air, and yet the majority of hifi loudspeakers are still pretty basic, or is that just an illusion?

So my question to all of you is, what innovations have really stuck? What fads keep repeating themselves? What ideas have been so transformative other makers have been forced to copy?

It's not enough to have been new, or even good, but what ideas have actually caused lasting change?

For instance, Heil's Air Motion Tweeter for instance is in the category. His ideas are with us to stay, even if not everyone will use them. Who or what else?

Best,

Erik
Old 16th January 2016, 06:28 PM   #2
bwaslo is offline bwaslo  United States
diyAudio Member

Magnetic planar drivers, constant directivity waveguides, dome tweeters are some I can think of.
Old 16th January 2016, 07:15 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yep, so in that vein, ribbon and ring radiator tweeters have come. Dome midranges could almost be called a fad.

What about high-mass, high excursion compact subwoofer drivers? They seem to have disappeared. What happened to them?
Old 16th January 2016, 08:07 PM   #4
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksquires View Post
What about high-mass, high excursion compact subwoofer drivers? They seem to have disappeared. What happened to them?
They live in cars, some have cones that weigh a pound or two.
Old 16th January 2016, 08:43 PM   #5
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

I think the tapped horn will be an enduring innovation, although Danley has the patent, I am quite sure it was already developed by others and called something else.

The unity/synergy multi way summation point source horn is a huge innovation that sounds great and has qualities un-obtainable otherwise.

Nd magnet motor drivers and shorting rings, linear large travel suspensions, light but stiff and non resonant cones - they all have improved driver capability and sound quality.

I agree the Heil AMT is a unique concept that as endured and sounds great. My Heil AMT's are the star of my driver collection and reserved for special speaker builds. Best sounding tweeter I have heard.

The single flat ribbon tweeter a la RAAL is also different and has impressive range.

There is new stuff coming out all the time. New speaker alignments different from FLH, BLH, BR, or other 4th, 6th. 8th order vented are also appearing.
Old 16th January 2016, 09:40 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron E View Post
They live in cars, some have cones that weigh a pound or two.
Ron,

That's so odd. I thought they were a great idea. Little 10" / 5kW subwoofers (I'm exagerrating) with gigantic surrounds. They were the poster children for digital amplifiers. Were they too expensive to make?

Best,

Erik
Old 16th January 2016, 09:41 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
I think the tapped horn will be an enduring innovation, although Danley has the patent, I am quite sure it was already developed by others and called something else.

The unity/synergy multi way summation point source horn is a huge innovation that sounds great and has qualities un-obtainable otherwise.

Nd magnet motor drivers and shorting rings, linear large travel suspensions, light but stiff and non resonant cones - they all have improved driver capability and sound quality.

I agree the Heil AMT is a unique concept that as endured and sounds great. My Heil AMT's are the star of my driver collection and reserved for special speaker builds. Best sounding tweeter I have heard.

The single flat ribbon tweeter a la RAAL is also different and has impressive range.

There is new stuff coming out all the time. New speaker alignments different from FLH, BLH, BR, or other 4th, 6th. 8th order vented are also appearing.
Yep, innovation keeps going on, I'm just wondering what will stick. I'll have to read up on the tapped horn, never heard about it.

Best,

Erik
Old 16th January 2016, 09:56 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I'm going to throw the Joseph Audio infinite slope crossover into the mix as, still with us, still a niche and almost no one is interested in copying it, though I believe there is at least one claim of a duplicate patent. Meh. <puts on his announcer voice>

--In a world where speaker makers are more common
-- than pot growers and coffee shops, one company
-- makes high slope crossovers!

They may be fine speakers, I'm just saying, not a lot of people seem motivated to play with the tech.

Also, I found one interesting patent were Some one seems to have claimed patent rights to the resistor. I'm not very good at reading, math or electronics though so I'm sure I misread it.

Best,

Erik

Last edited by eriksquires; 16th January 2016 at 10:04 PM.
Old 17th January 2016, 03:05 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Danley's point source ideas are probaby the wave of all future speakers but the logical next step will be lots of tiny drivers doing the same thing.We are riding the first true new wave since the speaker was inve ted
Old 17th January 2016, 03:54 AM   #10
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

I wonder if there's more things yet coming in personal/portable devices. With listening on the go, or in public places and less use of dedicated listening spaces the on-ear or in-ear sound source may be where the growth is going to be. I'm not sure what innovations have been applied there ?

P.s. My first hi-fi was acoustic suspension, Teledyne AR38s
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Hide this!Advertise here!