Crossover Optimizer Software? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th January 2016, 07:32 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Crossover Optimizer Software?

Hi Everyone,

Sorry if this is asked elsewhere.

I've been using XSim very successfully but DIY'ers have suggested other software as well. What I particularly thought would be a nice feature is crossover optimization. The idea that you can draw or request a type of electro-acoustic shape and the software will make it for you, based on the actual driver.

I think LspCAD has this, though I've never used it. Are there others?

Best,

Erik
Old 10th January 2016, 07:46 PM   #2
S4m is offline S4m  Germany
diyAudio Member

http://www.boxsim.de/download/Boxsim120en.zip maybe not the best tool for Simulation but the xover optimiert works well.i linked the english version and its freeware
Old 10th January 2016, 09:01 PM   #3
aczern is offline aczern  Poland
diyAudio Member

LspCAD_demo

In the demo the optimizer works too.
Old 10th January 2016, 10:34 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Calsod has one (although you better be prepared to brush up on DOS). Crossovershop (LEAP) does. SoundEasy too as I recall.
Old 10th January 2016, 11:18 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aczern View Post
LspCAD_demo

In the demo the optimizer works too.
Thanks for the suggestion. I got to try it. I found the schematic portion too difficult to use. It reminded me of OrCAD in that way. It was good that I could import data from OmniMic and DATS easily though.

Best,

Erik
Old 10th January 2016, 11:20 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
Calsod has one (although you better be prepared to brush up on DOS). Crossovershop (LEAP) does. SoundEasy too as I recall.
First I thought you mean FilterShop instead, but now I see CrossoverShop as well.

Thanks for the ideas!

Erik
Old 11th January 2016, 05:40 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksquires View Post
Hi Everyone,

Sorry if this is asked elsewhere.

I've been using XSim very successfully but DIY'ers have suggested other software as well. What I particularly thought would be a nice feature is crossover optimization. The idea that you can draw or request a type of electro-acoustic shape and the software will make it for you, based on the actual driver.

I think LspCAD has this, though I've never used it. Are there others?

Best,

Erik

Hi Erik,

SoundEasy has quite powerful crossover optimizer. Please read Chapter 10 below.
http://www.bodziosoftware.com.au/Chapter_10.zip

More info is on Bodzio Software website.

Best Regards,
Bohdan
Old 11th January 2016, 11:43 AM   #8
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohdan1232000 View Post
SoundEasy has quite powerful crossover optimizer.
IMO, Soundeasy has quite possibly the worst User interface ever designed. It is a kluge of tools the author has seemingly written for his own use and doesn't have any discernable workflow. There (at least at one point) is a guy who makes $11 a pop for an aftermarket manual on one way (of many) to use it and that is not enough of a hint for the author that his software needs improvement. Spend your hard-earned money elsewhere, is my recommendation.

You can get by, to a great extent, with free tools nowadays. Speaker workshop has a really good crossover optimizer for times when you need one. Probably best used with windows XP, though...
Old 11th January 2016, 04:07 PM   #9
Face is offline Face  United States
diyAudio Member

No optimizer, but otherwise, very easy to use. http://audio.claub.net/software/jbabgy/jbagby.html
Old 11th January 2016, 05:57 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron E View Post
IMO, Soundeasy has quite possibly the worst User interface ever designed. It is a kluge of tools the author has seemingly written for his own use and doesn't have any discernable workflow. There (at least at one point) is a guy who makes $11 a pop for an aftermarket manual on one way (of many) to use it and that is not enough of a hint for the author that his software needs improvement. Spend your hard-earned money elsewhere, is my recommendation.

You can get by, to a great extent, with free tools nowadays. Speaker workshop has a really good crossover optimizer for times when you need one. Probably best used with windows XP, though...
Thanks!

Why do so many of the software for speaker measurement and design stink. What's worse is even expensive commercial products like Leap seem stuck in the 1980's of operating systems and literature. It's rather scary to think of spending $1,500 on software that doesn't look like it's been updated in 20 years. Same thing for X-Over Pro. I wonder how many software vendors treat their products as pure cash cows with no future at all.

One nice exception to this seems to be Audiomatica's Clio, which has active development and support.

If Windows 10 were mandatory, most of the software we want to use would drop dead. Hahaha.

Erik

Last edited by eriksquires; 11th January 2016 at 06:07 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!