Yamaha NS-1000M active crossover? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th January 2016, 01:42 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Yamaha NS-1000M active crossover?

Greetings.

I am researching a possibility to change my Yamaha NS-1000m speakers from passive to active.

500 Hz crossover would be active and 4500 Hz crossover would be passive (since I will do bi-amp, not tri-amp)

Original design is 2nd order, but it seems that Troels Gravensens updated crossover is 3rd order?

Does anyone have experience about NS-1000M with active crossover? I would imagine best active would be simulating Troels Gravensens improved crossover...

Link to improved XO by Troels Gravensen.

Last edited by XScorpius; 10th January 2016 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10th January 2016, 07:16 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XScorpius View Post
Greetings.

I am researching a possibility to change my Yamaha NS-1000m speakers from passive to active.

500 Hz crossover would be active and 4500 Hz crossover would be passive (since I will do bi-amp, not tri-amp)

Original design is 2nd order, but it seems that Troels Gravensens updated crossover is 3rd order?

Does anyone have experience about NS-1000M with active crossover? I would imagine best active would be simulating Troels Gravensens improved crossover...

Link to improved XO by Troels Gravensen.
I've been toying around with a similar idea for a center channel. What about a Hypex plate amp? Has amp + DSP built in.

It makes sense to keep Gravesen's tweeter and mid low pass filters but you would not want to emulate Gravesen's mid-woofer filters. Taking full advantage of the DSP processing you should delay the tweeter/midrange channel so the acoustic offset between the midrange and woofer is 0.

This will cause the two sections to have different phase matching than with a purely passive design, so Gravesen's design won't work as-is. You'll need to design the active crossover based on your own tests.

Best,

Erik
Old 25th June 2016, 06:19 PM   #3
0vid is offline 0vid  England
diyAudio Member

Yes I tri amp my NS1000Ms

Hide this!Advertise here!