Axiom QS8 Clone - Help needed - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th December 2015, 08:00 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Axiom QS8 Clone - Help needed

Hi folks,

Sometime ago I had the oportunity to listen to a HT system that had surround speakers that I liked a lot (Axiom model QS8). Unfortunately theres no way i could buy a pair here in the local market because of Custom and Import restrictions on complete speaker systems. I can buy-import bare drivers, so Im trying to build a QS8 clone.

The first step I did was last month when I had a couple of days off and some MDF laying around so I build a couple of enclosures with the approximate size of an QS8. For drivers i used some old 5 woofers and 1 tweeters that I had from a really old system. The finished speakers are installed and working (see attached photographs) but are NOT performing like the real ones. Meaning: the Axiom product sound really good but my first prototypes are not even close.So for the next prototype Id like to buy some better drivers.
Could you help me choose some drivers that would fit this design? Buying bare drivers from Part Express or Madisound is possible from here. According to the specs, the crossover frequency is 2500hz.
Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg QS8 enclosures.jpg (56.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg QS8-clones-installed.jpg (40.3 KB, 17 views)
Old 1st January 2016, 04:28 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Same here

Im looking to build something similar to the QS-8 too.
First at all Id like to know if the two woofers fire with the same polarity or inverted. Do you know?
For the 5 inches woofers Ithink almost any driver would do, the difficult piece are the tweeters with the crossover at 2500hz. Iwasthinking about replacing them with Vifa-Tympany TC9. What do you think?

Hide this!Advertise here!