Thanks all! (esp. Rodd Y and Zach)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for your help with the JBL L-110's. Rodd and Zach provided some good answers to my detailed questions on both the L-110's and my newest acquisition, the L-150's. The L-110's were dumpster quality. Covered in dirt and dust, surrounds all gone and all of the components had deteriorated. Since then, they've been carefully cleaned. New surrounds were glued on the still-intact cones. Ebay provided a fine pair of LE5-6 mids and though they aren't the exact match, they sound fine. Only the tweeters need replacing and despite the heavy damage to the 1 inch domes, they sound ok for now. Even the grills had a trip to the bath tub. Then the cabs got treated to a generous dose of Old English furniture polish.

Last night the revamped little pair stood proudly next to my recent acquisition, a late 70's Sansui G-9000 reciever in almost mint condition and recently serviced (ain't Ebay great?). 65 pounds of silver and gold, the turquiose and white numbers glowing against a brushed gold background. Beautifully machined knobs and toggle switches. The LED's aren't the dull ugly kind you see so often, but more akin to brightly lit jewels. Ruby's and emeralds. Fine orange needles swept across bright analog gauges. No black plastic here. Just 160 wpc of a strong, yet beautiful reciever. You ain't going to find nothing like it at Burp-it City.

ZZ Top's cut of Rough Boys poured melofluidly out of the pair. The ten inch woofers don't have the punch of the 12's on my old L-65's, but sounded impressive enough for their size. Clear, sharp and well-defined was my impression. I sat back and enjoyed the guitar solo that filled the air so effortlessly. I knew they were worth saving.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.