New diaphragms for JBL compression driver - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th December 2015, 02:04 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default New diaphragms for JBL compression driver

I have a chance tomorrow to pick up 2 JBL 2426H drivers for 70 bucks. They both need new diaphragms, coils are bad. Looking on Ebay I see JBL brand for 130 bucks, or after market ones for 20 or 30 bucks. Are the after market ones terrible, not bad or a total waste of money.
I am looking to pick these up to play and learn about horns. If I can use the after market diaphragms than I will only have about 120 bucks tied up into them. They come with short round wave guides, like a tweeter would use. Next I would have to buy larger wave guides to use these as a mid range horn.
Like I said, I'm just looking to play with these and maybe make a 2 way speaker system from them but I don't want to start spending a lot when I don't even have a game plan yet.

Thanks
BillWojo
Old 20th December 2015, 02:33 AM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I had aftermarket titanium diaphragms in 2420 and they were a bit hard to live with. My current 2440s have OEM JBL AL diaphragms which are vastly better sounding than any of the titanium OEM or aftermarket 'phragms I have tried in these drivers..

If you can stretch to the OEMs you will probably be happier in the long term.

As an alternative Radian has an aluminum diaphragm for this driver which is likely far better than the inexpensive $30 variety you mentioned.

Here: Radian 1225-8 Diaphragm Fits Most JBL 1" 8 Ohm about $80 each.

Cheap titanium diaphragms often sound harsh, and unpleasant in hifi applications.. I understand this is due to break up in the diaphragm.
Old 20th December 2015, 02:41 AM   #3
Account disabled at member's request

Not fair, you beat me to it, kevinkr! The Radians use an aluminum alloy diaphragm, which sounds far less harsh to my ear than titanium. The larger format drivers also include a mylar surround.
Old 20th December 2015, 03:31 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys, just what I figured. So the Radian aluminum diaphragm sounds even better than the factory Ti diaphragms do?
Harsh is not what I'm looking for. I'm new to horn drivers, picked up a set of Klipsch Heresy's a month ago to use with my tube amp and love the sound. I'm thinking it would be neat to do a 2 way with a large horn on top of a single 15" woofer in a cabinet. I love the looks of a horn not to mention the sound. Very dynamic.

BillWojo
Old 21st December 2015, 01:00 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Well I picked up the JBL's today. The 2426H CD were screwed into a JBL 126-00013-00 horn. It's a small radiused cone, about 6" across. They came out of a church, someone hooked them up wrong and sent the full power to the coil's. Poof.
I have several questions. Is the only difference between the 2426H and the 2426J the diaphragm? Can you change from one to the other?
The other question that I have concerns the replacement diaphragms. The intended amps that I'm going to use is a set of Mac MC40 tube monoblocks. I will probably never play these at concert levels. Several of you folks said that the cheaper replacement diaphragms sound harsh. Does the harshness come in when they are pushed or is it always there.
Since I'm on a horn kick, I came across a set of JBL 2446J CD's with 2385a horns and the adjustable mounting stand's for 340 bucks plus shipping. These are in very good shape. Am I nuts to pursue this?
The frequency range of these drivers go up to 20Khz, the drivers in my Klipsch Heresy's die at 17Khz. What I want to try is to disconnect the mid and tweet on the Heresy's and see if I can get the JBL's to perform better. Still trying to learn more about Xovers as I know I'll be messing with them next.
Thanks and yes, I'm in over my head. LOL

BillWojo
Old 21st December 2015, 02:48 AM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

The harshness is always there in my experience. The H and J differ in that one is ferrite and one is alnico. If you buy the recommended 'phragm for your driver you should not have an issue.

Clean gaps before installing new 'phragms and do NOT force!
Old 21st December 2015, 04:54 AM   #7
POOH is offline POOH  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
The harshness is always there in my experience. The H and J differ in that one is ferrite and one is alnico. If you buy the recommended 'phragm for your driver you should not have an issue.

Clean gaps before installing new 'phragms and do NOT force!
Actually H and J are the nominal impedance of the coils 8 and 16 respectively
Old 21st December 2015, 04:58 AM   #8
POOH is offline POOH  United States
diyAudio Member

Probably the best diaphragm in those drivers for home hifi would be the JBL 2421/LE85 aluminum D16R2421

Old 21st December 2015, 12:26 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks POOH, I'll check those diaphragms out.
Do you know if a H model can be changed to a J model by swapping diaphragms?

BillWojo
Old 21st December 2015, 03:37 PM   #10
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by POOH View Post
Probably the best diaphragm in those drivers for home hifi would be the JBL 2421/LE85 aluminum D16R2421
This is an excellent recommendation IMO.

Hide this!Advertise here!