advice needed on TL - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th December 2015, 04:53 PM   #1
SS4927 is offline SS4927  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default advice needed on TL

I might of done alright on some narrow columns someone gave, but they didnt have info to offer about them, like what make for starters? The badges are missing. They have 6" mid bass' and 1 1/8" soft domes.

We plugged them into an amp and I wasnt impressed. Bass is very weak and poorly placed. But they sound kinda nice otherwise.

Having a closer inspection I realized there TL's, and I thought sweet. But wheres all the bass going? Polarity is correct. Then I realized the slot ports at the bottom rears are missing, crap. 7"x 2 1/2" gaping holes dont seem to be working. What should I do?

I could easily make some with ply. But I dont know where to start for the sizes.
Old 16th December 2015, 04:58 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Maybe some polyurethane soft filling had collapsed inside the line making a stopper.
Old 16th December 2015, 05:14 PM   #3
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

We had this same question recently.

Click the image to open in full size.

PMC TL Stuffing

I suppose you have to google the model and try and figure out what port size and stuffing is appropriate.
Old 16th December 2015, 05:35 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Pictures?

dave
Old 16th December 2015, 08:19 PM   #5
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4927 View Post
Then I realized the slot ports at the bottom rears are missing, crap. 7"x 2 1/2" gaping holes dont seem to be working. What should I do?
Hmm, a TL's 'vent' opening [terminus] is the same area as the TL with a smaller vent making it a MLTL in today's parlance, so are you sure it originally had a slot vent?

Regardless, will need all the woofer info, TL dimensions, etc., for us to be of any help at all. For now, I'm guessing they primarily just need some baffle step compensation [BSC].

GM
Old 17th December 2015, 03:30 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
Hmm, a TL's 'vent' opening [terminus] is the same area as the TL with a smaller vent making it a MLTL in today's parlance, so are you sure it originally had a slot vent?

Regardless, will need all the woofer info, TL dimensions, etc., for us to be of any help at all. For now, I'm guessing they primarily just need some baffle step compensation [BSC].

GM
That's what I started thinking, that they might not of had any. I was actually returning to question that thinking of PMC and having fresh looks at some. As I made my approach I thought there WERE PMC, they bared a striking resemblance. Turns out I almost crapped my pants for a lot less potentially doubling my embarrassment. They are SONY transmission lines. Loosely put it appears someone upgraded them. Or downgraded them with better quality tweeters. Sorry about that. So what should I do with them now, gut and put in full range drivers? The cabinets are nearly mint.
Old 17th December 2015, 04:31 AM   #7
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Photos and dimensions would be useful as well as the Sony model number if you know it. I never knew Sony built TL speakers.
Old 17th December 2015, 04:40 AM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Like these?

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sonyTransmissionSS-TL1_1.jpg (132.5 KB, 90 views)
Old 17th December 2015, 05:04 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I didn't know sony made TL's either, apparently there are 3 models in this line, the SS TL1 being smallest. They look a lot like the ones you posted planet10. Only taller/thinner, the camera might be adding 10 lbs

I think I could live with these at least in my shop but Ill try to do them better providing parts I have compliment them better. I have spare silk polydax and textile morel's Im not using.

By the way I found the bass, and lots of it. It sounds like a sub is running its that robust. For small speakers they go nice and low. It can stand for improvement there. Some of the stuffing is missing its bare wood in the lower section around the vent areas.

In case your wondering the cause, polarity WAS off. I was careful when hooking them up. In a pinch sometimes Ill use generic electrical wire, printed half +, non print - . For some reason this stuff has printing on both sides . Have not seen that before.

I dont expect to be doing serious listening with them but Ill have a little fun trying to get them dialed in. The cabs are heavy and solid. Those are about the best thing they have going for them. I still like the idea of finding a suitable full range to see how they work. Ill make a picture next time Im at the house they sit.
Old 17th December 2015, 07:12 PM   #10
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

You'd think that after all these years, I'd have learned by now that one can't assume anything with this 'crowd'. Checking polarity should always be the first test at every step of the way when wiring is involved.

Anyway, not surprised at its bass performance as early Sony and similar brands were all 'voiced' with more than a nod to then current 'Just Big and Loud' speakers , though again, will need either measured driver specs or at least cab internal dims to maybe find some modern drivers to work.

If these are like many of their consumer speakers though, you'll need to be looking at cheap ceiling PA, mobile audio offerings to get the desired specs.

GM

Hide this!Advertise here!