Pioneer SP-FS51-LR crossover wiring

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi fellow members,

This is Tom From Wells, MN. A friend of mine brought me over the speakers mentioned in the title. Said he bought them at a yard sale but they don't sound right. I check the crossovers of both of them and they are both partially disconnected. Does anyone know how these are supposed to be wired up? All they have on them is MF-, MF+, LF-, HF+, and HF- the model number on the crossover is 350-FS51-2.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Tom S.
Wells, MN

By Andrew Jones...:D
The PIONEER (Andrew Jones) Speaker Thread - Officially - Blu-ray Forum
In case you need some tweeters:
https://commonmanshometheater.wordpress.com/2014/01/03/pioneer-tower-tweeter-replacement-sp-fs51-lr/
You might get the usual connectors for; input +/-, then woofers +/- (LF-, LF+), mids +/- (MF-, MF+), and tweeters +/- (HF+, and HF-). Usually + is red, unless it states different like some JBL's. This is your starting (standard) point. From here you can have some commons (connectors) like ground or (-). :2c:

Here is a picture of mine. hope it helps

Attachments

• pioneercrossover~2.jpg
    pioneercrossover~2.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 116
Ok give me a few minutes to take them apart i had that picture on hand. I do believe the woofer positive are in a series with the mids but i will look. The loose resistors sound suspicious what are the values? Are there any missing pieces on the crossover?

So here is goes L- goes to - on the bottom woofer.

+ on the bottom woofer goes to - on the top woofer.

The + on the upper woofer has a split connection the black wire goes to Mf- on the crossover the red wire goes to the - connection the the mid.

The mid + goes to Mf

Like most commercial speakers, the crossover looks simplistic and cheap.

With well-behaved drivers you can get away with this.

This is the simpler two way Pioneer SP BS21 (What could BS stand for? Yup... ;) ) version of your speaker.

Doesn't look hard to me, but I'd still need to see the wiring diagram aka schematic to be sure how to wire it up and get polarity on the drivers right.

See, it's a bit like asking what order you connect the spark plugs in a car engine. I'd have to see it to advise. :D

Attachments

• Pioneer SP- BS21 two way.JPG
    Pioneer SP- BS21 two way.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 108
BTW, if I had to guess what Pioneer did here, given that this is some commercial rubbish 2.5 way speaker designed to sell to people with cloth ears, it might be wired like below.

Sorry to rant. I just hate what commercial companies do to our beautiful and precise art. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Pioneer speculation.PNG
    Pioneer speculation.PNG
    6.3 KB · Views: 106
Just to let you guys know that I got it working. It sounds good except for the Pyle PDMW5's which are mid woofers. I am wondering if that is the reason for the resistor and the capacitor to filter the high's and lows better. It seems that frequencies form the HF on the crossover are too high and making them crackle.

I think you really need to post some photos if you want to make progress with this. AFAIK, the tweeter is easily replaced with the Goldwood GT520 tweeter unit Inductor pointed out.

What the Pyle woofers are doing here, I have no idea. This speaker sounds like it has had a rough repair. A wiring diagram that might work is below. The W130s are woofers. The G20SC is a tweeter. it gets a capacitor to protect it from bass and a resistor to drop the level.

I might suspect the Pioneer original woofers are 4 ohm units. Depends how they are wired really.

Attachments

• Pioneer wiring diagram.PNG
    Pioneer wiring diagram.PNG
    4.6 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.