Wilson Benesch Endeavour Ports :(

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think the "reviewers" and the magazines are the main problem today. There are so many people who are misinformed by them, because, in fact their job should be to sort out what is good and what is c**p.
If we think about it, now, the only reliable source of objective information are the forums. In them everybody is telling their subjective oppinion but one can make objective statistics around those answers.
And also, there are those passionate people who really test the products like Ricci from Data-bass, Earl Geddes, Danley and others.
But the Hi-Fi world is very confusing for many and it is hard for the people who want to get a real high performance sound equipment, but not to get ripped off or be tricked into buying more than is needed. It is hard even for an experimented guy to sort out what is science and what is hype.
I, for one, try to use home-theater equipment for both surround or stereo, because maby of them are made to really work as they should and don't cost that much.

In terms if driver, i see a lot of high-price speakers, but very few high-end speakers.

Forums - I think it really depends on the forum and in part, the area of audio. I find car audio for example, generally hugely misinformed when it comes to acoustics, hence, even for car audio, I find myself on this forum more than diymobileaudio.

there are so many trains of thoughts in audio, that are bandied around willy-nilly, but I try and let my ears decide. The two I was thinking of yesterday was diffraction and dual opposing subs.

Diffraction - Ok, we all get it. But then you'll get a pair of 5 star rated, $30,000 square speakers???

Dual opposing sub - Yes we get the cabinet resonance thing, but then you get huge praise for single subwoofers design.

The theories abound, but in practice does the average enthusiast notice? I struggle to think that they do! I think a few small engineering can add up, but for that 1 brand who espouses a specific theory, there seem to be 100 brands that prove otherwise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.