1980s Peavey Ultra HiFi Constant Directivity Sp3

I can't see that you have ever posted any frequency response curve until post 19. I don't have documents of SP3 from the mid-80's and too late now. SP2-XT from 90's and SP2(2004) both show a dive starting at 14 khz up and spec is 3 db down 17 khz. All still use the RX22 titanium horn. Neither of which matter to me as my hearing has stopped at 14 khz since summer '69. (howitzer) .
Bumps and dips around crossover point are to be expected. Both the ones I've owned, SP2-XT (stolen) and SP2(2004) keep the crossover point between the +- 3 db brackets. My music room is much worse, and I have a lot of damping in the room. Carpet, acoustic panel ceiling, record & bookcases on all walls (full) urethane foam furniture a 2 organs with benches pedals & speakers. Here is the room with SP2(2004)on white noise.Mike rolls of @ 14 khz.
Nearly 99% of speakers on the consumer market use +-10 db as their frequency response band, and Radio Shack used +-20 db on one product I bought (headphones). Even JBL consumer was using +-10 db. JBL pro line was +-3 db last time I looked. Most vendors won't even tell you tolerance.
Speaker market is all smoke & mirrors at the consumer outlets. Even most reviews are full of adjectives, instead of data. Careful vendors like Home Entertainment (Houston) AR KLH go bankrupt and the name gets bought out by sleaze pushers.

Here you go! https://peavey.com/manuals/80300649.pdf now you can have the documents you said you did not have. There is a difference in the RX 22 Drivers and the 22A. Jon Risch is a Peavey transducer engineer, and he told me NOT to replace my 22A Aluminum Diaphragms with the Titanium ones, because he said they just don't sound nearly as good, even though they have superior high frequency extension

My RX22 sound better on piano, particularly top octave, than anything I've heard anywhere else. This is a flyover state,not much refined choice. I think comment of DJK that RX22 "quack" at high volumes may be key. I don't use over 70 w in my music room and 99% of time is below 1 w.
Frequency response of SP3 eighties document you posted shows 2 db wiggle @ 800 & 4 db wiggle @ 5000. Exceeds their +- 3db spec slightly. Much more realistic bumps & dips on SP2-XT spec from the 90's. Probably too much smoothing in 80's. Peavey didn't go after hifi consumers until they hired those engineers from electrovoice, IMHO. Didn't make much dent in hifi boutiques, I'm only person I know that tried SP2 on piano CD's. Salesman had no clue what good sound was, tried to sub an electronic piano CD.
The new SP2 1000w model has abandoned hifi again; more wattage sells better even though Harmonic Distortion spec of 2004 has been trounced.

My RX22 sound better on piano, particularly top octave, than anything I've heard anywhere else. This is a flyover state,not much refined choice. I think comment of DJK that RX22 "quack" at high volumes may be key. I don't use over 70 w in my music room and 99% of time is below 1 w.
Frequency response of SP3 eighties document you posted shows 2 db wiggle @ 800 & 4 db wiggle @ 5000. Exceeds their +- 3db spec slightly. Much more realistic bumps & dips on SP2-XT spec from the 90's. Probably too much smoothing in 80's. Peavey didn't go after hifi consumers until they hired those engineers from electrovoice, IMHO. Didn't make much dent in hifi boutiques, I'm only person I know that tried SP2 on piano CD's. Salesman had no clue what good sound was, tried to sub an electronic piano CD.
The new SP2 1000w model has abandoned hifi again; more wattage sells better even though Harmonic Distortion spec of 2004 has been trounced.
Unfortunately, Dennis (DJK) is no longer with us! My Horns have never quacked, in my room. They are not "perfect" but I enjoy them a great deal! I use a parametric EQ to scoop them out from 1 to about 4.5 K.

Attachments

• Peavey 115 sc and Horn top.jpg
    Peavey 115 sc and Horn top.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 35