Worth modding cheap speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Even too much expensive !

Save money for a better DAC, an other speaker with an aproved kit (thre are many not so expensive), or invest on an active filter if wanting to play with DIY speakers.

If really want to spend money, just change the cap for the same value in uF and voltage (or>) (have you a capacitormeter to measure exactly the value ?) for the treble unit only. Same advise as post 2 for the cost : a MKT is enough, Monacor makes good MKT ! 2 euros !

geeze, Cal, don't you realize that the quality of caps in the crossover is the single most important upgrade and best system investment you could make? :D

but seriously, hixyhicks, if they're not broke, I'd leave them alone

who am I kidding - go for it, but depending on the particular interior layout, neatly fitting "audiophile grade" film caps of appropriate values can be a tight squeeze

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
These are the minimum i use: http://solen.ca/products/product-ca...tors-250v-pa-series-metallized-polypropylene/

Made in France and available under other labels. They have more exotic versions too. Under many labels.

would changing the drivers

If you are thinking about that you'd be better starting from scratch. Changing existing XO parts with better is one thing, mucking with an existing designs another -- and usually if you are going to do that evolving the XO, fixing the box, or treating the drivers are what pay benefits.

dave

To make these speakers play any better than they already do,
would probably take much speaker building know-how.

The itch you have for DIY-ing won't go away simply by exchanging
XO parts.

I suggest you leave these as they are and find a suitable new project
to mess around with.

I have a pair of wharfdale.9.1 is it worth modding them as my first easy project.Will changing the caps on the crossover make a great deal of different and if yes which one's

Kind regards

I think it's a great idea for fun, and experience. :) Is it financially worth it? No. Is it worth it for you to try it and see what happens? Hell yes. :)

If you do this though I would try out some good, but really inexpensive lines. Avoid the Solen's and try the Mundorf MKP's, Clarity PX or ESA, or even some Cornel Dubilier (spelling?) which you can get from Mouser/Digikey. With any of these lines you should be able to do a complete tweeter mod for like $20-$40 each speaker.

Have fun and let us know your findings. :)

Last edited:
Actually, I'm going to argue that for learning, a cheap speaker IS the place you should start. It's almost impossible to get into a speaker without breaking something without experience. Screws break, wires rip out, you have to wedge glued parts out..... a cheap speaker is exactly where you want to start and you will still hear the differences, based on my experience. :)

Also, be careful as Solen is also sold as Axon and another 3 letter brand and I would avoid all of the cheap Solen's except when you need a big shunting cap. Again, for THIS particular use case.

Last edited:
Further advice, while you are in there, make a schematic of the entire crossover. Again, for experience, but if you want to gain more experience later you might want to play with ideal drivers and XSim to see how each part works, and if you want to go even further to see if you can actually make a better design (for you) you'll want this info to start from.

Yes, but it's a bit like crack. First you realize that you can make changes to the caps, and you like it, then you try some coils out... then you buy a measurement kit and before your family and friends know it, you are loosing sleep over a crossover for the speaker driver's you've been hoarding under your bed. Your skin turns pale and only the scent of fresh blood makes you feel hunger....

I should add, somewhere on Troel's extensive website I thought he states his opinion that even inexpensive speakers could usually benefit from having good capacitors. Sorry I can't seem to find the link now, but I respect the man and it goes with my experience as well.

Do not misinterpret this as saying that spending $400 for a capacitor on an old Realistic speaker is any sort of sane investment. It's not. I'm just saying, even inexpensive speakers can demonstrate the value of better capacitors.

I had a really old pair of very cheap bookshelf 2ways, Videotone Minimax.

I converted them to active using a pair of 3886 chipamps and moxlite crossovers. The amp+crossover hangs on the back.

They now need a bass only for the LF, since I cut them off @ 140Hz.
They have been running for more than 6months. I think they have turned out very well. I even use them without the low bass and they are great for much of radio and TV.
They are my computer monitors.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.