Altec 19

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had been looking for a set of Altec 19s for more then a year... nothing on Craigs list and Ebay the prices have trippled in the last year...

I didnt want to pay some crazy price for a set of 40 year old speakers.. i am sure they are many nice sets.. but thats not my luck....but after buying anything like that used you have to plan on fixing crossovers,, diaphrams or repairing the woofers..and since they are so big.. its had to find with nice cabinets..

So I started looking for Parts.. Maybe i could just build my own... but I wanted 100% Altec 19 sound.. i could settle for nothing less.. The Altec 19 has many things thats not apparent to the eye... its just not 2 drivers in a box...

I found Great Plains Audio.. They repair vintage Altec speaker drivers... I did not know they also make new replacement drivers for the old speakers..

So... I emailed Great Plains audio and Bill From Great Plains returned my email...I asked Bill if there was replacement parts available to build a set of new Altec 19s..... Bill said everything was available except the 811B horns.. They are no longer made...

So I found a set of 811B horns on craigs list.. Then I ordered the new Altec 19 drivers and crossovers...

Great Plains Audio sent everything fast !! I opend up the boxes and this was better than Christmas !! The 416-8C and the 902-8A and the N1200-8A was all first class parts... !! and the packing was 100% to keep everything safe..

I did not have the cabinets yet.. but I could not wait..

I had some large speaker boxes i was going to throw away so i just put everything in them till the cabinets are done..(they are ugly)

I hooked them up... I have a old Nad 40 w power amp and a Carver CT27v preamp..

The source is just hooked to the Samsung tv.

Its the same sound as I remembered...The horn driver is amazing... I think it also has to do with the crossover... I cant seem to turn it off at night !!

I cant wait till they have a new home... I ordered Altec 19 style custom cabinets from the Amish,, made with Elm wood to match some other peices I had built..

I Think I made the right choice.. The horn sounds really smooth and the high end is great...bass is awesome.. clean...

The only question I have is.. is there a better amp,, preamp..that would work better for a horn speaker ??? Although I am happy with what i hear..

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Very nice! The model 19 is a classic for a reason. Want to see photos of the custom cabinets.
As for amp, something tube with a slightly higher output impedance my work well for you. You don't need a lot power, but you may like what tubes do in the bass and top end.

Have fun!

I second the motion for a tube amp except it should be a SET. Horns and SET tube amps are made for each other. You will be amazed with the sound of a 1 watt SET amp with those horns. The first time I heard the Altec 19's I was very impressed and knew I wanted horn speakers.

You will likely find the sound different if you are using a source other than the TV. It's got limited dynamic and frequency range.
I've been a happy 19 user for many years and I've tried amps ranging from a Bryston 3B to Technics vintage 100 watt receiver to Adcom 555 to Dynaco mk3 to Heath WM3 to a variety of SE amps. They all impart their character and change the sound of the 19s. The big differences are in the bass. They can go from tight and punchy to relaxed and a bit soft sounding. Oddly, the least tight bass came from the Bryston. The best over all balance was from the Dynaco but the easiest to listen to are 2A3 SE amps if you don't push them too much.

altec 19

I had been wanting to get a set of altec 19s for 30 years... I knew the tv was not the best source .. but thats all i have.. I guess i could play cds... and I had sold my Pioneer turntable..

I will post pictures for everyone when they are in the new cabinets... but they are not going to be finished for 90 days... So hang in there..I will post many photos....!! Thats how long it normally takes when I have the amish build something.

They will be 100% just like the original 19s except for where the speaker connections are.. And most of the cabs will be 3/8 plywood and 3/8 hardwood elm... so they will be solid !! I would have had used all hardwood elm but... I think the marine grade plywood will make it more solid...

even hooked up to the tv using Pandora the sound is stunning ! My whole life I had been turning up the volume to hear some clean guitar or vocals,,or kick bass... with the Altec 19s there is no need its just open,,, like looking out a window......

Thanks for any advise.. I will add the front foam to the horns.. and i'm still not sure what to use inside the cabs??

The parts at Great Plains Audio is the best.. when I opened the crossovers they are impressive looking !! I know its just 2 horn drivers 2 crossovers and 2 woofers.. but the quality .. ohhh I have a photo... I will upload now.

Check this out...........

altec 19 driver photo

Picture

Attachments

• SAM_0947.jpg
    SAM_0947.jpg
    795.2 KB · Views: 724
  • SAM_0953.jpg
    SAM_0953.jpg
    926 KB · Views: 700
  • SAM_0954.jpg
    SAM_0954.jpg
    746.1 KB · Views: 670
  • SAM_0950.jpg
    SAM_0950.jpg
    912 KB · Views: 660
  • SAM_0952.jpg
    SAM_0952.jpg
    877.9 KB · Views: 641
My brother made a set of 19s recently. He bought the 416s, 902s and crossovers from Great Plains and I gave him an extra pair of 811s. The only thing he did differently from stock was to put the cross over at the rear of the cabinet, move the 416 up a bit and position the port at the bottom of the front panel. It makes no difference in sound but it does make the cabinets symetrical. Strictly aesthetic. I would do the same if I was to make another pair, his look great.

if you can post a photo... Did he use all wood or some plywood??

are there better speakers out there for what it cost to build these??

I am going to have around 2,500 in mine total... I just put mine in in some big old cabs I had.. (ugly)they are not the right size but it will work till I get my speakers cabs finished.... now this is funny.......... after setting up these ugly cabinets in the living room..I had told my wife that I would move them and put the theater speakers back.. just 2 old advents heritages I found at goodwill and refoamed the woofers..(they look brand new.. 12 bux !) and my wife said... OHHHH NO.... you can leave them there.. I like them.. lol lol.......

When I moved the Hartley CM's in our little living room, I expected my wife to come un-glued. She didn't.
A few months later I told her that I was going to sell them, and she looked at me like I was retarded.
I think big, old school box speakers are easier for them to accept since they look like furniture, not abstract, phallic art sculptures. Ha!

IME, [young] women in general 'resonate' with the old tech metal horn two-ways, even when they take up ~12x the living room real estate of a pair of M19s as my late, lamented theater horn system once did. So much so, that I rarely had any quality time with them beyond spur-of-the-moment auditions as yet another word-of-mouth single, couple or car full of 'just happened to be in the neighborhood' folks gravitated to whatever music [except classical] was emanating from the house.

WRT to getting better speakers for $2500, you can get technically superior performing speakers just by modifying the XO and swapping out the old metal horns for modern waveguides, though whether or not ya'll will get more entertaining speakers; we obviously can't say, but WAF being what it is, only a fool would fix what ain't broke. ;)

GM

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I usually agree with GM, but in this case, only kinda, sorta.
The horns are not that bad, just put some Dynamat or other damping material on them back in the cabinet where it won't show. As for the crossover, yeah, you could do better, but IMO this is one of the few times that the stock Altec filter works nicely. If it ain't broke....

Of course his last sentence is golden. :D

I really dont have any complaints...I have read all kinds of things about these speakers.. horns ringing... not enough bass...needs a electronic crossover...the high end roles off to quick..dont play as loud as the Klipschorn....

I think the damping material on the back side of the horn may help.. So I plan on doing that...that is a good idea...although I dont hear any ringing...

The crossover...i am an electronic tech...and to put a electronic crossover on these and get better sound,??? adjusting for low volumes,, midrange,,crossover frequencys,,gain in 2 different amps at different levels which change with freq... and there is phazing at the crossover point...which amps do I use... ?? which electronic crossovers will work best...??

The whole reason for the altec drivers and the same new altec 19 crossovers is so 99% of the thinking is done... (i'm smart but not that smart)when you change to much then its not a altec 19...

And when you go to all that work,,, and then you think maybe it would sound better if i used that other amp.. then were not listening to music...

on the other hand i plan on trying a good little tube amp.. if some one can point me in the right direction...I have only listened to one tube amp at a customers house while repairing his sony tv...and something about that set up was great... but I think the guy worked for NASA,,, so I am sure he knew alot more then me..

# 1 the horn damping... good....... #2 tube amp... good... #3 input source....I have it hooked up to my Samsung tv...I am sure thats not good..lol but the sound from My Plex server and Pandora is good.. depending on source marerial........I wish I had a turntable to try..I will hook up the blue ray direct to the carver preamp tonight and give that a try....

Hey... thats just what I want....I can build anything...But I have never worked with tubes.. its better to build my own?? I had build a sony kdl60nx810 with parts from 2 and the pannel had to be torn apart and replace the one of the led backlights..It was shorted... 1 speck of dust would have made all the work worth nothing. ! layers of diffuser pannels that had to be perfect when put back in order...and the right direction..even a finger print would be there forever...ohh thats over 4 years ago.. it still works 100% !

Point me in the right direction.. ok.........I looked on Ebay... weeeeeew many there,, but I am sure there are bad ones and good ones... most are made in china..........they have no tone controls ,, what is used for the preamp>??? I will ask 1000 questions... if ya get out now it just might save you...lol

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.