Altec 19

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I think you made a wise choice in the Model 19. They will make you happy. :D
Those cabinets are going to be heavy. Double wall 3/8 adds up to 3/4", but I bet they will be solid and hard to move around. That - of course - is a good thing.

Bruce, A sealed box will certainly give the 416 a better transient response above 55hz, but a 515 would be better suited if that is the goal (I have a pair of 515-g if you want to trade). My setup and testing shows the 416 can do "alot" below 55hz. My onkens go down to 35hz easily with room loading, and bass drops off the map at 25hz. With this in mind, I personally would never put one in a sealed box...kinda a waste. The subs would have to be pretty good to do better than the impact of dual 416's in a big vented enclosure. If your already running active, DSP it flat down to 35hz, and forget about subs, especially if your ears are sensitive to phase and alignment issues. Cheers.

m-19

Hey, Bruce...

you cant go wrong with the altec 416B..

I had to get the newer version 418-8C I do not have the cabinets done yet..
I put the woofer in a old cabinet I had that is 17 inches wide 14 inches deep.
has some openings in the back.. stands maybe 34 inches tall and the 811B
horn hangs out front 1/2 inch on both sides....
I put the woofer and horn in the back of the cabinet and covered up
where there was a passive 12 inch.. and the midrange horn sticks out the
where the mid was on the back side....

ohh it looks like crap.. (for now) but the 416-8C at low to low-med volume
is well defined.. you can hear every bass note crisp clear,, it does not seem to have any peaks where the different bass notes are dominate. almost effortless open clear.... !!... but I dont push it..( i'm sure they would not sound right if driven with any power).The altec speakers sound great even when it a very low volume.. My other speakers I always found myself turning it up up up to get a clean sound........ I LOVE THESE SPEAKERS.....
I fell asleep after shopping for Christmas and the wife went to work..
2 hours later I awoke to some percussive guitar.... just jammin....
still brings a smile to my face...lol...

I think anything over 7 CFT box will work... and a sealed box with give the best bass till it roles off at the bottom end...I have not had any real speakers in years..,,, here is how I feel... the 416-8C has a really good solid bottom end...its much more then I need in my house... I cant even imagine what it will sound like in the correct box ! but I am going to find out ~!

Big and heavy is a good thing... I live in... near... Cleveland...
That way I can spot who took them.. it will be 3 young strong guys with walking sticks
because it broke thier backs........I already had a mint condition Cutlass Ciera taken..
my wifes new coat on the front door step... and a new samsung tablet that was delivered but never found......

I also think you could potentially squeeze more high fidelity bass out of a proper designed MLTL, but I think that's probably more for an advanced user.

You do get more bass since the cab is typically somewhat larger and tuned lower than a BR. If you sim westend's MLTL in WinISD or similar it will have a dip, then huge peak at Fb, i.e. 'ring like a ten penny nail struck with a ball peen hammer' whereas in reality it's a well damped, T/S max flat vented response.

Why would it be for an advanced user? I mean it's just a big, high aspect ratio vented cab from a building POV. I or someone else qualified do all the 'advanced' figuring part.

GM

I cant even imagine what it will sound like in the correct box ! but I am going to find out ~!

'Correct' is a variable based on the needs of the app whereas a mass market consumer product is a compromised design to pander to the widest audience, so while the M19 is a good alignment, it's only ~ 'correct' for spinning old vinyl, tapes in a typical [American] size living room, though re-tuning the vent to a lower Fb or even blocking it off helps for smaller rooms and/or corner loading and its adjustable XO allows adjusting the horn level to these different room loadings.

GM

I think maybe the box would have been to big for my room...
it has a tv and a couch and end tables... lol...

Some of you all... have the man cave or no wife....if I change the living space
I have to pass that through the boss..............................

and if there is any math involved.... I prob skipped that day....week..
but at 19 I decided I needed more up there then just Hair. !!!!!!
Thank god I did get some tech skills... it helped me..
I worked many 6 day weeks but my skills always kept me working..

But sometime I would like to hear one set up... maybe then i'll trade off the wife.... NOT. she is a keeper.. !!

its now after 330 am... I had to turn the stereo off......I have to be up at 8 when my wife arrives home....

one last thought about the Altec 19s...... I have a word that is not usually used with horn speakers...

TONE.... what ever they did to bring out that tone.......

Hmm, IIRC the width of westend's is the same as the M19, ditto driver/horn spacing to ensure it matches up with the stock XO and either its depth was the same or less, so the same or smaller 'footprint', just taller.

Well, my system filled up two corners at ~ 5 ft wide x 7 ft tall on the diagonal and none of the three wive's I've had ever said anything about how huge my system was, only how great it sounded, though judging by their initial facial expression it was pretty obvious what they were thinking.

Indeed, I rarely had any quality time with it, though had to keep close attendance lest all the folks they invited over to hear how great they were didn't muck up the electronics, vinyl and/or RTR tapes, or the rest of the house once the booze starting flowing.

In retrospect, I guess they intuitively understood that it + motorcycles + 'boy racer' was part of the 'package' or time to move on if they couldn't 'bend' me to their will; so as long as none of it impacted the essentials of life, marriage, children, all was well.

'Tone' is a lot of things and why fifty different speakers with the same specs can tonally sound a bit different. The M19's horn design, material, combined with the XO and the 416's low mass and wide HF BW is most of it.

GM

Last edited:
well i'm on the 2nd wife.... but i would never do it again...
The first one kept my speakers.... it was a long time ago... when they were built.
at that time.. I think the woofers cost 24.99 each.. 15 inch woofers with cloth according surround.. Just a 4x6 cheap horn tweeter but the midrange was great... I used a Audax PR170M0 6.5" Midrange - 100dB
Audax PR170MO is a Professional Quality Reference Standard 17 cm (6.5")...
$99.80 at the time the speakers was made by polydax in france and I had to order them and wait 4 weeks. the cabs were ,,,, am thinking 20 wide 15 inches deep and 33 inches tall... sealed box... 1 inch solid oak.. cabs were 100 pounds each.. lots of fiberglass insulation and was crossed over at 800 and 3,500 with 1 100w l pad for the midrange...hmmmm not even sure if it has a pad for the horn?? but I rocked those speakers with a carver receiver for 10 years ... The good old days... zzzzzzzzzz
Loud,, for hours...lol never had a problem......... she still uses them. !! I asked for them back and she told me no about 4 years ago...lol

Last edited:
that audax midrange is one of the cleaniest powerful mids i have ever heard...

hmmmm wonder if it could be put on a horn? lol I always wondered back in the day after some of the parties I had that lasted for hours, how those speakers never melted..
the last time I listened to them,,, they sounded like the day they were installed.....

I am sure there are lots of better midranges... but for 100 Dollars... it worked for me...

whats crazy.. it was somewhere around 1985??? those 2 speakers still cost 100 each !!
I had to use my income tax refund to afford them then.... now thats funny...lol...........

High Power and high quality Potentiometers for this crossover network

Best solution is the replace of the potentiometers by high wattage resistors. But a friend of me would like to continue using potis for the MF- and HF level but in better version.
From where I can order such mono potentiometers ?
In the attachement a pic of the crossover, where the poti is show so as the schematic diagram.
Best thanks for advices.

Attachments

• Altec 19 crossover network N1209-8A.jpg
    Altec 19 crossover network N1209-8A.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 359
  • Altec 19 crossover network.jpg
    Altec 19 crossover network.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 358
ALtec lansing Model 19 home built crossover.

I am building 2 sets of Altec Model 19s... and on 1 set.. I decided to build the crossovers...
its always more work than you think...but its going to work !.

Attachments

• SAM_1841.jpg
    SAM_1841.jpg
    878.6 KB · Views: 255
  • SAM_1846.jpg
    SAM_1846.jpg
    693.6 KB · Views: 254
  • SAM_1858.jpg
    SAM_1858.jpg
    734.5 KB · Views: 233
  • SAM_1851.jpg
    SAM_1851.jpg
    811.9 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Altec 19 cabinets.. 1 set Cherry ,,1 set Oak

here is a few photos of the speakers I am building..
I will post the finished photos sometime in mid July.

Attachments

• SAM_1879.jpg
    SAM_1879.jpg
    759.5 KB · Views: 149
  • SAM_1892.jpg
    SAM_1892.jpg
    854.1 KB · Views: 155
  • SAM_1880.jpg
    SAM_1880.jpg
    543.6 KB · Views: 125
  • SAM_1882.jpg
    SAM_1882.jpg
    470 KB · Views: 104
  • SAM_1877.jpg
    SAM_1877.jpg
    803.3 KB · Views: 114
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.