Alpair 12PW/Viawave build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The 12pw is more a 7" driver, judging by the cone area. The shallow cone and being based on a full ranger driver hopefully allow higher crossover points. This makes it a fairly unique driver for its size
Unfortunately there are no off axis measurements I can find; personally find that frustrating. Hence I've chosen the lowest X/O point (for the ribbon)
I remember Jeff B saying that a dip off axis at 3khz is not a real issue (or something along those lines) so not too concerned

Last edited:
I find with wide dispersion 1" tweeter coming in from 8" bass, it sounds a bit bright. It's because there is a bit of a hole in the midrange energy there, especially off-axis from the bass. You can't do anything about it except slope the tweeter response down and that is a poor compromise. So I dunno. :eek:

I think its worth trying the single coil on the bass. Your tweeter filter certainly looks like 3kHz XO. But since you asked, I wouldn't be able to resist trying 1.5mH and say, 6.8uF shunt on the bass for some proper rolloff. Or even the off-the-shelf 3kHz XO values of 1mH and 10uF.

Marco_Gea was nearer 2kHz here, but the same two way idea really:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/147632-classic-monitor-designs-25.html#post4428857
500061d1440342286t-classic-monitor-designs-system.jpg

That tweeter will not do well with a first order slope at 3k.

I hope that you have measurement equipment.

System 7, I would not call it a wide dispersion tweeter due to it being waveguide loaded.

That said, when implemented correctly, they do sound very nice. I've heard them in a couple designs and also own a pair.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.